FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW-AKL in J = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:32 pm
writerguyfl

Given that this is a new route, the revenue management software might be having difficulty finding the correct pricing. I used to be a hotel revenue manager. If American Airlines' software is anything like what I used, these dates/routes will be front and center on the exceptions report. Basically, that report is the software saying: "Help me, humans! I don't know how to interpret this data!"

Since there are still many months to go, I'd guess that the humans will wait until spring or summer before worrying about how to price the highest demand dates (Christmas/New Year). That's how we would have handled it in the hotel. Wait until the prices for the "regular" days solidifies before dealing with the holiday dates.

AA still has tons of time to finalize their prices. There's little downside to waiting, I would imagine. That's not great if you're a flyer who wants to book now; but AA only cares that the seat will eventually gets sold. Whether it's sold to the planner or the person booking 4 weeks before the flight is immaterial to the airline.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Feb 7, 2020 at 3:34 pm Reason: Changed first sentence qualifier from probably to might.