FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:40 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by STS-134
Any reason you think nationality has an impact on how safe it is to be in one place or another or to travel somewhere else? Going on a plane is a concern of course, but once you get out, I would think you're safer just statistically, but looking at how many people have it in China vs elsewhere. But if I had to go on a flight out of China right now, I'd want to wear a BSL-4 suit on that flight if I had one. Not that it would actually help unless I could connect it to the bleed air system and maintain positive pressure in it.
Sorry for lack of clarity. I didn't intend for it to be a nationality question--what I was trying to ascertain was whether the in-laws were at home in Shenyang or visitors. The implication that I got in that poster's question was that the in-laws were resident (likely Chinese). Reasons for my answer to stay put:
1) Home base vs visitor is different: when you are in your home and regular city of residence, you have familiarity and a support system in case things go pear-shaped. Things like friends, knowing the shops and pharmacies, delivery setups, clinics, streets and transport options, etc.
2) At one's home base city, it's easier to control your contact with others. Can't do that when traveling, and the unvetted contacts you encounter each represent a potential point of infection. Right now, the 12th confirmed case in the USA is someone who returned to Wisconsin after visiting Beijing (unless other information on his China travels has not yet been ascertained or released). The process of traveling from Shenyang to Canada will of necessity involve dozens if not a hundred or more contacts (= those passing within 2 meters)....and all the contacts of those contacts.
3) So far, Shenyang/Liaoning has not been seriously affected by the coronavirus, and while we can never trust Chinese numbers, the relatively smaller confirmed infection numbers from Shenyang may indicate that have a shot at getting on top and staying on top of the situation before it ever gets to the serious point of city-wide quarantine.

Understand where I am coming from. I had to go through the same thought process and make this decision during SARS while living in Beijing, a situation which had both similarities and differences to this nCOV, and came down on the side of staying put where I had some measure of control. I won't deny though, that there were disruptions like cessation of public gatherings, a reliance of getting around on my bicycle and foot vs public transport, and periods of profound boredom where normal routines were disrupted and business activities were difficult to carry out. Ultimately, that poster and his in-laws will have to weigh their personal situation (and their current health status, which wasn't mentioned), and decide.

I do not know if the Chinese permission requirement on the mother-in-law will be a major issue because of whatever her former position was, but that certainly adds a complication, since in these troubled times, how long permission process will take may not be predictable. Particularly if she is a current or former Party member. The current government may be very sensitive over any appearance of officials--even former ones--taking advantage of their relationships to foreigners and cutting and running. Might be difficult to time tickets with receipt of permission to leave.

Last edited by jiejie; Feb 5, 2020 at 8:01 pm