FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Europe Flights & Upgrade to Business Class
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:29 pm
MNMom

Originally Posted by xliioper
Roundtrip fares from MSP can be found for $1123 in Basic Economy and $1268 in Main Cabin on Delta (and it's partners) on these dates. These are the current lowest fare filings available, so it's unlikely they will go any lower. The outbound is a V fare which has a 90-day advance purchase requirement, so you would need to purchase by around March 2nd as it will no longer be available after that. Business class fares on your dates are available from around $4000 with an I fare outbound and a Z fare return. It's possible for Z fare bucket availability to open up on the outbound (there's currently availability on June 1) which would lower the price to around $3500. Outside the unlikely possibility of new fare filings, it won't go any lower than that. These Z and I fares have a 60-day advance purchase requirement, so the latest there could possibly be availability would be early April. After that, you would no longer meet the 60-day advance purchase requirement. As noted above, the cruise lines can have access to unpublished fares and may be able to get you a better deal. Note that Basic Economy fares cannot be changed or upgraded, so if you want to leave open the possibility of purchasing an upgrade, you would want the Main Cabin fares. There are also Comfort+ fares which slightly nicer than coach, but just use the same seats with a little more legroom and a little more recline.
Thank you for this information. I'm not familiar with the different types of fare you mentioned but I'm following what you are explaining. Would you please help clarify one thing...if I book main cabin now and should prices for business class later drop below $4000 and there are still seats left for upgrade, would my upgrade price be reflected accordingly or will booking now lock me into the $4000 price for upgrade after booking?