Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Europe Flights & Upgrade to Business Class

Europe Flights & Upgrade to Business Class

Old Jan 31, 20, 8:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 33
Europe Flights & Upgrade to Business Class

I have a couple questions hoping someone could help clarify. Thank you much!
  1. We need to fly out on June 2 for a trip to Europe but haven't booked flight. Prices kept going up since December and am wondering if I should book now or wait a bit more. Would have booked back in December but have personal reasons so needed to wait. Some people said to wait until late February since prices tend to surge up in January due to spring break planning...not sure if that is true. We will be flying from Minnesota to Barcelona on June 2 and from Rome back to Minnesota on June 17. We don't have much flexibility with dates since this trip will be part of a cruise.
  2. This will be a big trip for us so was going to splurge and book business class but with prices going up so much - it's probably not doable anymore. What I really want to know is if I book main cabin now and should prices for business class happen to go back down, will the price for upgrade also change accordingly? Note: not looking for any free upgrade just want to understand if booking now and prices change, will the price for upgrade after booking also change accordingly.

Last edited by MNMom; Jan 31, 20 at 9:00 pm
MNMom is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:22 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,725
MNMom Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by MNMom View Post
I have a couple questions hoping someone could help clarify. Thank you much!
  1. We need to fly out on June 2 for a trip to Europe but haven't booked flight. Prices kept going up since December and am wondering if I should book now or wait a bit more. Would have booked back in December but have personal reasons so needed to wait. Some people said to wait until late February since prices tend to surge up in January due to spring break planning...not sure if that is true.
  2. This will be a big trip for us so was going to splurge and book business class but with prices going up so much - it's probably not doable anymore. If I book main cabin now and should prices for business class happen to go back down, will the price for upgrade also change accordingly?
From where to where? Makes a big difference. If applicable consider another EU destination and a train to your final destination
Only looking at DL flights or other airlines?

Fixed dates limit your options. Better to be flexible

Upgrades are never guaranteed. With trans Atlantic flights many people are hoping for (free?) upgrades. Some of those will have high status, so closer to the top of the upgrade queue.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:41 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 33
We will be flying from Minnesota to Barcelona on June 2 and then from Rome back to Minnesota on June 17. This trip is part of a cruise so not much flexibility with dates. I would prefer Delta only but if other airlines have reasonable prices for business class, I would consider it. We have never been to Europe so not familiar to the region and much knowledge on what we should consider (e.g., train to final destination, etc.).
MNMom is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,914
Well, many may "hope" for a free upgrade, but they will rarely get as it's not benefit on long-haul international flights. As noted, in order to provided any useful advice we'd really need some routes to consider and what you consider to be reasonable.
xliioper is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:58 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,725
Originally Posted by MNMom View Post
We will be flying from Minnesota to Barcelona on June 2 and then from Rome back to Minnesota on June 17. This trip is part of a cruise so not much flexibility with dates. I would prefer Delta only but if other airlines have reasonable prices for business class, I would consider it. We have never been to Europe so not familiar to the region and much knowledge on what we should consider (e.g., train to final destination, etc.).
Can the cruise company offer/sell flights? Many do.
What have you found when investigating?

For BCN Madrid MAD is a viable option
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcel...dellas_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolfo...arajas_Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonar...micino_Airport

All about cost vs practicality

You need to consider a delay on the flight to BCN
And a delay in the ship docking at Rome
Allowing a day or 2 for safety is sensible

If not already done, consider full travel insurance
Travel insurance recommendation
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,914
Originally Posted by MNMom View Post
We will be flying from Minnesota to Barcelona on June 2 and then from Rome back to Minnesota on June 17. This trip is part of a cruise so not much flexibility with dates. I would prefer Delta only but if other airlines have reasonable prices for business class, I would consider it. We have never been to Europe so not familiar to the region and much knowledge on what we should consider (e.g., train to final destination, etc.).
Roundtrip fares from MSP can be found for $1123 in Basic Economy and $1268 in Main Cabin on Delta (and it's partners) on these dates. These are the current lowest fare filings available, so it's unlikely they will go any lower. The outbound is a V fare which has a 90-day advance purchase requirement, so you would need to purchase by around March 2nd as it will no longer be available after that. Business class fares on your dates are available from around $4000 with an I fare outbound and a Z fare return. It's possible for Z fare bucket availability to open up on the outbound (there's currently availability on June 1) which would lower the price to around $3500. Outside the unlikely possibility of new fare filings, it won't go any lower than that. These Z and I fares have a 60-day advance purchase requirement, so the latest there could possibly be availability would be early April. After that, you would no longer meet the 60-day advance purchase requirement. As noted above, the cruise lines can have access to unpublished fares and may be able to get you a better deal. Note that Basic Economy fares cannot be changed or upgraded, so if you want to leave open the possibility of purchasing an upgrade, you would want the Main Cabin fares. There are also Comfort+ fares which slightly nicer than coach, but just use the same seats with a little more legroom and a little more recline.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 31, 20 at 9:23 pm
xliioper is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:05 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
MNMom Welcome to FT

From where to where? Makes a big difference. If applicable consider another EU destination and a train to your final destination
Only looking at DL flights or other airlines?

Fixed dates limit your options. Better to be flexible

Upgrades are never guaranteed. With trans Atlantic flights many people are hoping for (free?) upgrades. Some of those will have high status, so closer to the top of the upgrade queue.
Did you read the OP’s original post?
Mr. Tickets is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Well, many may "hope" for a free upgrade, but they will rarely get as it's not benefit on long-haul international flights. As noted, in order to provided any useful advice we'd really need some routes to consider and what you consider to be reasonable.
OP’s original post was fairly specific. Dates and routes. Not looking for free upgrade
Mr. Tickets is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:18 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,725
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
OP’s original post was fairly specific. Dates and routes. Not looking for free upgrade
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
Did you read the OP’s original post?
OP edited post 1, to add more details, about 38 minutes after my reply in post 2. And 1 minute before 6, so effectively at the same time.
OP original post is quoted in my post 2 [ I always quote newbie's]
Full details do matter

=============

With prices as post 6, looks a good way to lock in open jaw main cabin tickets now. [XXX-JFK/ATL-BCN and FCO-JFK/ATL-XXX or equal]
Comfort+ (econom with more legroom) can be good value on long flights
But needs a sensible allowance for late flights/late ship

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 31, 20 at 9:43 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:19 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAS
Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 871
if you're curious about how prices might change, try using an app like hopper. it has a pretty solid fare prediction element that tells you if you should buy or wait. what you do with that info is up to you, and ultimately you should purchase the ticket when it's a price you are comfortable paying
gitismatt is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:29 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Roundtrip fares from MSP can be found for $1123 in Basic Economy and $1268 in Main Cabin on Delta (and it's partners) on these dates. These are the current lowest fare filings available, so it's unlikely they will go any lower. The outbound is a V fare which has a 90-day advance purchase requirement, so you would need to purchase by around March 2nd as it will no longer be available after that. Business class fares on your dates are available from around $4000 with an I fare outbound and a Z fare return. It's possible for Z fare bucket availability to open up on the outbound (there's currently availability on June 1) which would lower the price to around $3500. Outside the unlikely possibility of new fare filings, it won't go any lower than that. These Z and I fares have a 60-day advance purchase requirement, so the latest there could possibly be availability would be early April. After that, you would no longer meet the 60-day advance purchase requirement. As noted above, the cruise lines can have access to unpublished fares and may be able to get you a better deal. Note that Basic Economy fares cannot be changed or upgraded, so if you want to leave open the possibility of purchasing an upgrade, you would want the Main Cabin fares. There are also Comfort+ fares which slightly nicer than coach, but just use the same seats with a little more legroom and a little more recline.
Thank you for this information. I'm not familiar with the different types of fare you mentioned but I'm following what you are explaining. Would you please help clarify one thing...if I book main cabin now and should prices for business class later drop below $4000 and there are still seats left for upgrade, would my upgrade price be reflected accordingly or will booking now lock me into the $4000 price for upgrade after booking?
MNMom is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:41 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,914
Originally Posted by MNMom View Post
Thank you for this information. I'm not familiar with the different types of fare you mentioned but I'm following what you are explaining. Would you please help clarify one thing...if I book main cabin now and should prices for business class later drop below $4000 and there are still seats left for upgrade, would my upgrade price be reflected accordingly or will booking now lock me into the $4000 price for upgrade after booking?
They would honor the new price if they open up availability for Z fares on your departure date after you purchase. There is a change fee for these fares, but if you are upgrading to a fare in a higher class of service, you can have the change fee waived by calling in (the change fee won't be waived if you attempt to make the change online). I forgot to mention Premium Select fares which are available on certain aircraft and routings. There's availability for around $2600 on your dates and these seats are considerably nicer than coach and Comfort+ seats and offer better service.
Mwenenzi and MNMom like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 31, 20 at 9:49 pm
xliioper is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:51 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Madison, WI
Programs: Delta DM, Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Diamond
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by MNMom View Post
I have a couple questions hoping someone could help clarify. Thank you much!
  1. We need to fly out on June 2 for a trip to Europe but haven't booked flight. Prices kept going up since December and am wondering if I should book now or wait a bit more. Would have booked back in December but have personal reasons so needed to wait. Some people said to wait until late February since prices tend to surge up in January due to spring break planning...not sure if that is true. We will be flying from Minnesota to Barcelona on June 2 and from Rome back to Minnesota on June 17. We don't have much flexibility with dates since this trip will be part of a cruise.
  2. This will be a big trip for us so was going to splurge and book business class but with prices going up so much - it's probably not doable anymore. What I really want to know is if I book main cabin now and should prices for business class happen to go back down, will the price for upgrade also change accordingly? Note: not looking for any free upgrade just want to understand if booking now and prices change, will the price for upgrade after booking also change accordingly.
How many skymiles do you have available? A mileage upgrade award might be available but you would need to call in to determine that. Just booked ATL-CDG in early June w/ an MUA from G to D1 Suites for 40k/person/direction. Considering the G fare was $2k each person rt and D1 Suites were priced at $8600 per person, 80k skymiles/person was a great deal. If you can find flights with availability!
badgerchemist is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:54 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,725
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
i forgot to mention Premium Select fares which are available on certain aircraft and routings. There's availability for around $2600 on your dates and these seats are considerably nicer than coach and Comfort+ seats and offer better service.
What many airlines call "premium economy class". For day flights many people like these

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html
Experience Delta Premium Select - a new, superior Delta cabin available on select international routes. You’ll find more space to stretch out and relax with a wider seat, and additional recline, and an adjustable footrest and leg rest on select widebody aircraft*. Plus, with plated meals, you can cruise in complete comfort with an enhanced travel experience every time you fly Delta Premium Select.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:56 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,103
Originally Posted by MNMom View Post
Would you please help clarify one thing...if I book main cabin now and should prices for business class later drop below $4000 and there are still seats left for upgrade, would my upgrade price be reflected accordingly or will booking now lock me into the $4000 price for upgrade after booking?
If the price of Business class on your flights drops to an acceptable level, you can just call Delta and they will let you pay the difference between what you originally paid and the current business class fares and rebook you in business class. I think you have to stay in the same flights, or else they may charge a change fee (could be like $250). I would not call this an “upgrade”, not here on FT and not to the Delta agent. “Upfare” is more correct.

You may also see an offer on Delta.com (or th le App) in your reservation to “upgrade”; this may or may not be the same as the fare difference described above. But if you do see that offer and you find it acceptable, then you can just process it that way without having to call Delta.
ijgordon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: