FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium seat assignment lost for "operational reason"
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:09 am
olouie

Originally Posted by Often1
AS handles these pretty much the way all carriers do.
1. They give you a vague and unsatisfying answer (because they are prohibited from disclosing that an air marshal is onboard).
2. Some algorithm moves you to a random seat.
3. If by some chance AS moved you because some HVC or the CEO's cousin wants the seat, AS also isn't going to tell you.

You are, of course, free to change to any available seat. Other than the underlying hassle of losing your original seat assignment, you won't generally do better elsewhere and the issues you faced were readily solved.
The one time I had this happen on AA was much better. They proactively notified me about seat change (not just sending a mostly duplicate confirmation letter) and moved me into another MCE seat. AA proactively offered compensation (2500 miles- not much by hey it’s something). Had to ask for and then fight a bit for the AS comp (1000 miles).

Overall this is consistent with my AS experience. Elites aren’t treated much better when issues arise whereas AA, DL and UA tend to do much more for top tiers.