Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Premium seat assignment lost for "operational reason"

Old Jan 24, 20, 11:23 am
Original Poster

So this is a strange one. I booked a BOS-SFO flight. As a 75k I selected 8D as a premium seat. 2 days before flight I get an email confirmation letter that only has one change. My seat has been moved from 8D (middle was empty) to row 11 (a full row), which is not a premium seat. Many other completely open rows still available too.

Called AS and all they can say is that it was for operational reasons and unable to provide any more details.

No plane/equipment change or anything either. My wife who was in 8F still has her seat and all other seats look like they did before (at least on Expert Flyer). This is now the second time AS has taken my premium seat and put me into a random regular economy row without any explanation or notice. Any ideas to what is going on?

Last edited by olouie; Jan 24, 20 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I wouldn't rule out an air marshal taking that aisle seat. They're not going to share that with you, though.

Tom at SFO on a mechanical delay
mctaste and BearX220 like this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:35 am
Original Poster

If so strange that air marshall would take a random premium seat instead of FC (they are still allowed to do that right?). AS doesn't handle these well at all. Why me move into a completely full row instead of one with empty seats?

In any case, I just moved back into 8E so I guess I will find out who I am sitting next too soon. Middle seat wont be awesome, but maybe that will make whoever took my seat move out too haha.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AS handles these pretty much the way all carriers do.
1. They give you a vague and unsatisfying answer (because they are prohibited from disclosing that an air marshal is onboard).
2. Some algorithm moves you to a random seat.
3. If by some chance AS moved you because some HVC or the CEO's cousin wants the seat, AS also isn't going to tell you.

You are, of course, free to change to any available seat. Other than the underlying hassle of losing your original seat assignment, you won't generally do better elsewhere and the issues you faced were readily solved.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
AS handles these pretty much the way all carriers do.
1. They give you a vague and unsatisfying answer (because they are prohibited from disclosing that an air marshal is onboard).
2. Some algorithm moves you to a random seat.
3. If by some chance AS moved you because some HVC or the CEO's cousin wants the seat, AS also isn't going to tell you.

You are, of course, free to change to any available seat. Other than the underlying hassle of losing your original seat assignment, you won't generally do better elsewhere and the issues you faced were readily solved.
The one time I had this happen on AA was much better. They proactively notified me about seat change (not just sending a mostly duplicate confirmation letter) and moved me into another MCE seat. AA proactively offered compensation (2500 miles- not much by hey itís something). Had to ask for and then fight a bit for the AS comp (1000 miles).

Overall this is consistent with my AS experience. Elites arenít treated much better when issues arise whereas AA, DL and UA tend to do much more for top tiers.
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:35 pm

You should get compensated. I thought this was automatic, but, just call customer care.
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
You should get compensated. I thought this was automatic, but, just call customer care.
Yeah I think it ends up being $25 or 1,000 miles. Phone agent said to write in to customer care. Automatic would be nice.
Old Jan 24, 20, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
There are so many swaps these days due to AC config, I think most auto-generated comp emails are within a day of departure...
Old Jan 24, 20, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
It just switched from a new A320 config to an old A320 config. You'll automaticlly get $25 in compensation, don't have to ask for it.
Old Jan 24, 20, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
It just switched from a new A320 config to an old A320 config. You'll automaticlly get $25 in compensation, don't have to ask for it.
Weird it still has 73J on the flight. Didnt know they flew the A320s to boston. That should make for a greater chance of fuel stop if headwinds back to SFO are strong.
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
Weird it still has 73J on the flight. Didnt know they flew the A320s to boston. That should make for a greater chance of fuel stop if headwinds back to SFO are strong.
I've flown to Boston from SFO a couple times this month and every flight has been Boeing. Looked at this Monday's schedule and the SFO/BOS flights are also Boeing in both directions. I'm curious now what days they fly an Airbus between BOS and SFO.
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If so strange that air marshall would take a random premium seat instead of FC (they are still allowed to do that right?)
No, they don't get FC any longer

https://onemileatatime.com/us-air-ma...ack-of-planes/
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:16 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
I was entertained by this the first time it happened to me. I went from exit row (premium) to exit row (not premium) to first (more seats, more U) in the span of an hour and still got the automatic $25 compensation, though it came well after the upgrade notification. ;-)
Old Jan 25, 20, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Doesnít seem like they should get premium seats either but who knows whatís accurate anymore - https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-ma...economy-seats/
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:10 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Doesn’t seem like they should get premium seats either but who knows what’s accurate anymore - https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-ma...economy-seats/
They can still get F. There's just a lot more in Y now, but "some" are still up there. I got booted out of 2C on a UA A320 in early December for what was an obvious FAM.

The only reason this made the news in 2018 is because the FAMs were pissed that so many more were now being seated behind the curtain. And rightfully so. In my opinion, I think they deserve it.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/exclusive-...ry?id=59974300

Search this Thread
Search Engine: