FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KUL-HKG-YYZ with MH/AC
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:45 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gurka
I assumed no on the status count, but seems like since I booked and paid AC for the entire flight that I would get the credit for the segment. I didn't book this online on some travel site - this was all done on AC paper and on AC's reservation system completely. Will never fly this interline/codeshare or whatever they call it crap again.
I understand that if you're not familiar with the details of how these programs work, that may seem kind of crappy, but it's pretty clearly stated that miles are earned based on the operating carrier of each flight. And that's consistent across the vast majority of FFPs around the world.

As for interline vs codeshare, does your KUL-HKG flight have an AC flight number or an MH one? If the former, that's a codeshare. If the latter, it's just interline.

Any ticket that involves two or more different carriers is an interline ticket, e.g. AC-UA or AC-LH are also interline (and may or may not be codeshare, depending on the flights), so I don't think your problem is with interline or codeshare tickets in general, it's just that you've booked a flight that's outside the Star Alliance and therefore doesn't earn miles.