Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
KUL-HKG-YYZ with MH/AC

Departing KUL to YYZ via HKG.
All booked with AC.

KUL to HKG is on Malaysian Airlines
HKG to YYZ is AC

How does this work for checking in? Can I tag my bags all the way to YYZ? Not in J so want to make sure my free baggage allowance is allowed on MH. Can I check in online or I need to do this at the counter @ KUL? Which app? MH or AC? Never flew a codeshare like this before - always use Star Alliance carriers and I didn't notice this routing until I looked at the return tickets today. I flew here YYZ-HND-KUL on ANA so no issues there.

Will I get status miles on the MH segment?

*update: spoke to AC concierge just now. They state that I "may" have to get my bags in HKG upon landing then walk them over to AC and drop them off again. Sound right?

Last edited by gurka; Jan 24, 2020 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:20 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gurka
Will I get status miles on the MH segment?
I don't know the answer to the rest of your questions, but for this one, it's no, as far as Altitude is concerned. You can probably credit that flight to a overworld program. Check your fare and what it's eligible for in whatever program you want to try to use.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I assumed no on the status count, but seems like since I booked and paid AC for the entire flight that I would get the credit for the segment. I didn't book this online on some travel site - this was all done on AC paper and on AC's reservation system completely. Will never fly this interline/codeshare or whatever they call it crap again.

Interesting bonus of being on Amadeus agent said - MH and AC have the exact same booking ref # now.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AC 75K
You always check in with the carrier operating the first leg of your journey...so in this case, you'll check in using MH's app.

Any baggage allowance afforded to you with your AC status, will not apply as MH won't recognize your status. I would expect your bags would be checked through as AC and MH are interline partners.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I assumed no on the status count, but seems like since I booked and paid AC for the entire flight that I would get the credit for the segment. I didn't book this online on some travel site - this was all done on AC paper and on AC's reservation system completely. Will never fly this interline/codeshare or whatever they call it crap again.
I understand that if you're not familiar with the details of how these programs work, that may seem kind of crappy, but it's pretty clearly stated that miles are earned based on the operating carrier of each flight. And that's consistent across the vast majority of FFPs around the world.

As for interline vs codeshare, does your KUL-HKG flight have an AC flight number or an MH one? If the former, that's a codeshare. If the latter, it's just interline.

Any ticket that involves two or more different carriers is an interline ticket, e.g. AC-UA or AC-LH are also interline (and may or may not be codeshare, depending on the flights), so I don't think your problem is with interline or codeshare tickets in general, it's just that you've booked a flight that's outside the Star Alliance and therefore doesn't earn miles.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You always check in with the carrier operating the first leg of your journey...so in this case, you'll check in using MH's app.

Any baggage allowance afforded to you with your AC status, will not apply as MH won't recognize your status. I would expect your bags would be checked through as AC and MH are interline partners.
Exactly. As simple as this.
I dont know why anyone would expect their AC benefits to transfer to a oneworld airline

You get standard baggage allowance, and no extra status baggage when checking in with MH.
You will not earn miles/segments on the MH leg. You can credit that to a OneWorld program.

How does a concierge not know that AC has/has not a bag interline with MH? Do they not know how to use a computer?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Not to thread-hijack, but a quick and dumb question about interlining. I have an upcoming itinerary -- YYZ-PVG-TPE on AC and then CI, TPE-YVR-YYZ on AC. Purchased on aircanada.com -- the CI flight is a CI flight number, not AC codeshare.

Can I add my DL FFN once I arrive in PVG to get SkyTeam status recognition on PVG-TPE? Or will that "remove" my AC FFN from YYZ-PVG and result in my not getting AC credit for YYZ-PVG which has already been flown at that point with an AC FFN attached? And I presume if I do, I'll have to re-add my AC FFN prior to boarding in TPE to get AC credit for TPE-YVR-YYZ?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Not to thread-hijack, but a quick and dumb question about interlining. I have an upcoming itinerary -- YYZ-PVG-TPE on AC and then CI, TPE-YVR-YYZ on AC. Purchased on aircanada.com -- the CI flight is a CI flight number, not AC codeshare.

Can I add my DL FFN once I arrive in PVG to get SkyTeam status recognition on PVG-TPE? Or will that "remove" my AC FFN from YYZ-PVG and result in my not getting AC credit for YYZ-PVG which has already been flown at that point with an AC FFN attached? And I presume if I do, I'll have to re-add my AC FFN prior to boarding in TPE to get AC credit for TPE-YVR-YYZ?
Once you've flown YYZ-PVG, it won't matter what you do to the subsequent segments.

I can't comment on whether CI will replace your FFN only on PVG-TPE or on the rest of the itinerary. Different airlines work in different ways. For instance, with CX, you can specify a different FFP for each segment and it will store them all separately. AC can't. Someone else here might know, or you might get a better answer on the CI forum.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
CI uses Amadeus too; to avoid AP getting replaced by accident, you should change CI to DL SM at PVG.
Just make sure you change it back before the inbound to YYZ and keep the BPs.

Based on my experience, other than DL/AF/KL which are pretty strict on 1 FFN per ticket PER POLICY (not a system restriction), I credit flights to multiple FFNs on interline tickets all the time. Never had a problem for flown segments.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
I appreciate the advice, Adam and Eric. Much obliged.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Interestingly I have the same thing coming up in Feb, BKK - HKG - YYZ - YOW where the first leg is on CX codeshared as an AC flight and the rest on AC metal, all on 014 stock.

I was debating getting some status on OW once I am SE again in 2020, I guess I should just try and credit the BKK - HKG segment to OW after I fly it?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Interestingly I have the same thing coming up in Feb, BKK - HKG - YYZ - YOW where the first leg is on CX codeshared as an AC flight and the rest on AC metal, all on 014 stock.

I was debating getting some status on OW once I am SE again in 2020, I guess I should just try and credit the BKK - HKG segment to OW after I fly it?
I don’t know the exact details of your frequent flyer programme, but if the BKK - HKG flight has an AC code, you should/might be able to credit it in the same way as an AC prime flight. You certainly can in the above example with BA.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

You can definitely credit BKK-HKG to OW and the rest to AC. But CX BKK-HKG does earn non-EQM with AP these days.
CX.com may allow you to specify the FFP at check in for each segment, but it doesn't always work. It is best to find AC transit counter in HKG to double check. AC's ground handling agent Jardine and CX/KA use different systems.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly. As simple as this.
I dont know why anyone would expect their AC benefits to transfer to a oneworld airline

You get standard baggage allowance, and no extra status baggage when checking in with MH.
You will not earn miles/segments on the MH leg. You can credit that to a OneWorld program.

How does a concierge not know that AC has/has not a bag interline with MH? Do they not know how to use a computer?
First of all, there's no need to be condescending or snotty. People are supposed to be able to come here and ask questions without the forum nazi coming on here and trying to degrade someone for posting a harmless question. But if being that guy makes you feel proud, keep on trucking and be that guy.

And yes, the concierge guy had NO idea about how the interline worked (he put me on hold and went and found someone who knew), and me being the noob that I am on these matters thought I could ask here for some inside info that I knew would be available from those of you that have way more knowledge then me. Thanks for sharing how this works. Now I know, and now I know how to avoid this in the future - I must not have paid any attention to when the agent said I would go via Japan on the way in, and Hong Kong on the way out and just said yes yes, book away. It's all my fault I will now miss the miles and have to move bags myself at HKG but still in the grand scheme of things, not the end of the world. I did just get confirmed on J for HKG-YYZ for us both so the world order is back to normal now.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K
First of all, there's no need to be condescending or snotty. People are supposed to be able to come here and ask questions without the forum nazi coming on here and trying to degrade someone for posting a harmless question. But if being that guy makes you feel proud, keep on trucking and be that guy.

And yes, the concierge guy had NO idea about how the interline worked (he put me on hold and went and found someone who knew), and me being the noob that I am on these matters thought I could ask here for some inside info that I knew would be available from those of you that have way more knowledge then me. Thanks for sharing how this works. Now I know, and now I know how to avoid this in the future - I must not have paid any attention to when the agent said I would go via Japan on the way in, and Hong Kong on the way out and just said yes yes, book away. It's all my fault I will now miss the miles and have to move bags myself at HKG but still in the grand scheme of things, not the end of the world. I did just get confirmed on J for HKG-YYZ for us both so the world order is back to normal now.
As already mentioned, you won’t need to collect your bags in HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.