FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Waiver for Puerto Rico?, in light of the earthquake / aftershocks
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:19 am
Chamor

Originally Posted by wxguy
Well, first of all, earthquakes are not related to weather. At all. Second, waivers are issued for known events that will directly affect operations, not hypothetical ones. A doctor's note might do you more good than just saying there's a fear.
On your first point, the issue of a possible nexus between climate and earthquakes has been debated since the time Aristotle, in the 4th Century BCE, and the debate continues. So it is less clear-cut than you suggest. But I guess debating that is beyond the scope of FT; I suppose I could have referred to a "seismology waiver.". In terms of known versus hypothetical events, there have been earthquakes ("aftershocks") in Puerto Rico within the past couple of weeks -- every day -- that recently caused certain airlines to issue waivers. But in any event, UA does not have one in place. Hence, my question. The docs note might be a good idea, re anxiety... Thanks.