FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:40 am
ContinentalFan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I admittedly don't lfy Untied, but they're FAs actually enforce airplane mode? And people actually care/expect others to turn their phone to airplane mode? I have't turned my phone to airplane mode in years, frequently browse the web & stream ATC well into the departure and never have any issues. When I'm sitting next to employees they seem quite content doing so as well.

They already have the chime that sounds when crossing 10k feet, it's how I know I can now slam my seat back to recline into the person behind me without the FAs making the announcement. (And pull my computer out since the wifi will finally be enabled).
They don’t enforce airplane mode on cell phones; the WiFi is often on during initial taxi and is almost always still on during landing.

I recline shortly after take off. If something catastrophic happens when you’re a few hundred feet in the air, the seat position won’t help.