FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On my way to see the TIGERS Play: National Championship Weekend in New Orleans
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
wakesetter93

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Less than 36 hours after booking my flight, I was curbside at Dallas Love Field after a short 10 minute Uber from my house. Given that it was a Sunday morning I was through security in under 5 minutes and was off in search of food.

I met my buddy at Cantina Laredo for a preflight margarita (we are heading to New Orleans after all) and chips and salsa.

After about 45 minutes it was time to line up in Southwest's standard cattle-call boarding process. I had forgotten to check in at the 24 hour mark and they were sold out of upgraded boarding positions so I took my place in line and hoped for the best.

Southwest Airlines
WN 5005
DAL-DEN (Dallas-Love Field - New Orleans Louis Armstrong International)
Seat: 16A (Economy)
737-700 (N929WN)
Scheduled: 10:55a-12:15p
Actual: 10:54a-12:13p

After a quick scan of my boarding pass I was on my way to watch the Tigers play!

My buddy and I managed to end up with an aisle/window in the same row and we had a fellow tiger fan in between us. Boarding was prompt and we pushed off the gate right on time. The plane was completely full with about 70% LSU fans, 20% Clemson fans, and 10% people who had no idea what they were getting themselves into on this flight

Legroom was typical for Southwest but it would be fine for such a short flight. Plus, soon after takeoff the party began with the flight attendants coming through the aisle with the beverage service. Even though it was Sunday morning they knew their audience and were proactively offering doubles as well as pretzels.

After less than an hour in the air, we were on the ground in Nola and ready to check out the festivities.

Once off the plane, the airport was buzzing with excitement over the game. On the way to our pickup point we had to stop and grab a local brew before heading into the city.