Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

On my way to see the TIGERS Play: National Championship Weekend in New Orleans

Old Jan 13, 20, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Silver

My FOMO got the best of me on Friday afternoon and one of my old classmates and I splurged on some tickets to the National Championship in New Orleans. Managed to book the flights on points for 41k roundtrip (21k on WN and 20k on AA) and with a free place to stay how could I say no. I'll work on getting the photos up as soon as I can and I'm also working on finishing up the TR on my Christmas trip.

Geaux Tigers!

Old Jan 13, 20, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Excellent. Enjoy the game and take lots of pics. Geaux Tigers!
Old Jan 17, 20, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Excellent. Enjoy the game and take lots of pics. Geaux Tigers!
That was quite possibly the most entertaining game I've ever been to!

I've been playing catch up at the office this week since this trip was so last minute, I'll be working on the photos and write-up this weekend.

Geaux Tigers!
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:15 am

Programs: Many
Too bad the refs screwed the Buckeyes in the semis and the country was deprived of seeing a better title game! Congrats to Joe. Class act.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Too bad the refs screwed the Buckeyes in the semis and the country was deprived of seeing a better title game! Congrats to Joe. Class act.
It was an exciting game to watch! I'm sure the Buckeyes will be in the conversation again next year.

Also, hoping to have the first section up tomorrow. I've been playing catch up at the office between my long Christmas trip and the last minute decision to go to the NCG.
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Less than 36 hours after booking my flight, I was curbside at Dallas Love Field after a short 10 minute Uber from my house. Given that it was a Sunday morning I was through security in under 5 minutes and was off in search of food.

I met my buddy at Cantina Laredo for a preflight margarita (we are heading to New Orleans after all) and chips and salsa.

After about 45 minutes it was time to line up in Southwest's standard cattle-call boarding process. I had forgotten to check in at the 24 hour mark and they were sold out of upgraded boarding positions so I took my place in line and hoped for the best.

Southwest Airlines
WN 5005
DAL-DEN (Dallas-Love Field - New Orleans Louis Armstrong International)
Seat: 16A (Economy)
737-700 (N929WN)
Scheduled: 10:55a-12:15p
Actual: 10:54a-12:13p

After a quick scan of my boarding pass I was on my way to watch the Tigers play!

My buddy and I managed to end up with an aisle/window in the same row and we had a fellow tiger fan in between us. Boarding was prompt and we pushed off the gate right on time. The plane was completely full with about 70% LSU fans, 20% Clemson fans, and 10% people who had no idea what they were getting themselves into on this flight

Legroom was typical for Southwest but it would be fine for such a short flight. Plus, soon after takeoff the party began with the flight attendants coming through the aisle with the beverage service. Even though it was Sunday morning they knew their audience and were proactively offering doubles as well as pretzels.

After less than an hour in the air, we were on the ground in Nola and ready to check out the festivities.

Once off the plane, the airport was buzzing with excitement over the game. On the way to our pickup point we had to stop and grab a local brew before heading into the city.

Old Jan 22, 20, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Glad you got to go, that was a great game. I was stuck in a hotel in Teaneck NJ.

...GEAUX TIGERS
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

French Quarter Festivities

After dropping our bags we headed off in to the French Quarter for some drinks and to take in the festivities. The Quarter was a sea of purple and gold with a few flakes of orange sprinkled in for good measure. We didn't have a real plan and decided to wander down Bourbon street as it seemed to be the center of the action. Having gone to school in Baton Rouge and spending the first 24 years of my life in Louisiana, Bourbon Street isn't usually where I'd choose to spend my time but it had an absolutely electric atmosphere the day before the game. I don't remember the exact bar that we started at but managed to squeeze our way onto a balcony to get a look at the sea of people below before heading off to meet some friends at Pat O'Briens.

After our stop at Pat O's I was in need of some grub, so we headed over to a French Quarter staple, Willie's Chicken Shack. Along the way we were treated to a sound unique to New Orleans, kids playing the bucket drums.

After filling up on chicken and biscuits, we hit one more Quarter bar before heading to the riverfront to see the Golden Band from Tigerland play in front of St. Louis Cathedral.

As night fell on New Orleans we decided to head back as I had a full day of work between me and the National Championship game.

Old Jan 23, 20, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
Glad you got to go, that was a great game. I was stuck in a hotel in Teaneck NJ.

...GEAUX TIGERS
It was a trip and a game that I'll remember for the rest of my life.
Old Jan 23, 20, 11:15 pm

American football. for those that have got this far but still hadn't worked out what sport was being attended.
Old Jan 30, 20, 5:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
American football. for those that have got this far but still hadn't worked out what sport was being attended.
I had to click the thread to find out which Tigers he meant - there are two just in the SEC. But now being a Detroiter, my first thought was "is it baseball season already?"
nequine likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
I had to click the thread to find out which Tigers he meant - there are two just in the SEC. But now being a Detroiter, my first thought was "is it baseball season already?"
I didn't know they played the World Series in January!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

National Championship Game

I stole away from the office about 4:30 and headed down to the street to meet up with my friends to start our walk to the Superdome. People had been tailgating and partying outside all day so I was surprised I managed to make it that long. We caught the tail end of happy hour at Tsunami before heading to the stadium.

Once inside, we settled into our seats just in time to watch the Tiger Band play pregame. Then, it was showtime!

[img[https://www.tacomaworld.com/media/li...l?d=1580514428

After being down 17-7 in the first half LSU rallied and scored 21 straight sending us into halftime with a 28-17 lead. That allowed me to enjoy the halftime show instead of stressing over the deficit as I had been doing earlier.

After halftime, LSU held Clemson to a total of 8 points and rolled to a commanding 42-25 victory to give the LSU Fighting Tigers their 4th National Championship in school history!

SFO777 likes this.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Jan 31, 20 at 6:30 pm
Old Jan 31, 20, 10:38 pm

Geaux Tigers!! How did you like the new terminal at MSY?
Old Feb 1, 20, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Cracking view from the gods you had!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: