FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I just SO hate the check in at CDG
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:05 am
fransknorge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Splendiz
Well then we agree to disagree I guess. If you are anywhere in the world and you don't speak the local language. What is the language you will have the most success in being able to communicate (other than the language of love, lol) ?
If the answer is anything else but English, you are either in a partly french speaking country or your answer is not correct.
I have yet to find a place in Europe where you cannot get around with English. The only place which I don't feel very enthusiastic to travel to is France because many people there make you feel uncomfortable when you don't speak the language perfectly even-though they would be able to speak English without a problem. I do have basic knowledge in French because we learn it in elementary school here, but if you start to speak French in France, chances are high that your dialog partner will not do anything to make sure you'll understand what he said. Even when you ask him/her to speak slowly, they will most probably just continue to talk just as fast and use fancy words like before.

The other things you said are undisputed, obviously it is nice etiquette to learn basic words, phrases when you go to a place.
Germany in some remote and not so remote corner (some security staff of FRA or STR do not know English).
Spain is several places, Italy too.
Czech republic with old people or bus drivers (and generally speaking most of eastern Europe), Slovakia.

Your assumption is wrong. While in some parts of France English speaking is an issue (due to lack of education for people more than 40 years old and/or pride/culture), the remaining is no worse than its neighbor, UK included (which is where you will find the least understood and clear English of the world: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...-communicators)