FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you get Travel Insurance?
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:24 pm
wco81
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by smf_ltn
For general trip insurance I use our Chase CSR trip insurance. For medical, my personal medical plan covers worldwide. But I recently added a medical evacuation policy as that fills a common insurance gap if you get hospitalized away from home. And especially as we begin traveling to Africa and other similar destinations.
I had a medical emergency a couple of years in Spain.

I hadn't studied my insurance too much but it did have coverage for emergencies while abroad. It still cost me about $6000 out of pocket though it went to my deductible that year and towards the end of the year, I did a lot of things which I otherwise might not have done.

I had to go through some lengthy appeal process because initially they tried to reject it. I also made a claim against Chase Sapphire Reserve but turned out my flight was booked with another card, even though most of the other expenses were charged to to CSR. That is what triggers their coverage, that you used their card with the common carrier.

So I've purchased some short-term travel insurance, which typically are cheap, like $40-50 and offers secondary medical coverage. But there are also some which offer primary medical in that price range too.

And some offer some dental coverage of a couple hundred.

And some offer some limited coverage for baggage and personal property. So I would imagine if your luggage is lost or damaged, you settle with the airlines and then if your belongings cost more than what the airlines paid for, then you would use these policies, which are limited typically to $500 max per item and up to $500-1500 total.