Reload this Page >

Do you get Travel Insurance?

Old Oct 8, 19, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Do you get travel insurance?

I've never bought any before.

If your credit card doesnt cover, is it worth getting?

thanks
Old Oct 8, 19, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it depends.

Anyone without international medical (including severe/emergency dental etc.) coverage, including air ambulance, needs to get a policy.

Otherwise, it's a matter of one's degree of risk aversion and access to emergency financial resources. Many people, especially in the USA where they already have medical coverage and where most nonrefundable plane tickets are changeable with a fee or generate a voucher for the unused value, prefer to self-insure for many trips. OTOH a long/expensive cruise or nonrefundable expensive resort hotel reservations in an isolated area would be an argument for getting travel insurance.
HawaiiO and aroundtheworld76 like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 1:11 am

It might also depend on one's comfort and ability for handling various issues while in midst of said issues.

For example, I'm capable of dealing with delays without relying on food vouchers or certain hotel bookings and re-routing without a check-in bag. Trying to find a new charger or some vacation clothing if mine were lost is an annoyance but not too stressful in major international hubs. I've met travelers who were not equipped or seasoned enough to deal with any of these things on their own. Ask me to address a semi-serious or painful medical emergency in a country which doesn't speak English (my most proficient language for medical descriptions) and/or has a lower care standard than my home country - I'm calling my travel medical insurance and work provided travel assistance to get information/referrals, language assistance, more immediate funds, and their help getting home if needed.

I'd also consider using a flight rebooking service like Freebird to make my life easier by having someone on the ground to help monitor and rebook, especially for shorter trips which could result in a total loss if the outgoing/connection had a delay Freebird travel protection & rebooking service
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Yes, and it did pay off once upon a time.

I had a very costly (20K) Galapagos cruise planned for my wife and I. Then I slipped and broke a leg. I wasn't going anywhere.

Travel insurance made it easy to cancel and rebook 2 years later.
HawaiiO and aroundtheworld76 like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:17 am

Programs: NZ *G
As an Australian who regularly travels to the USA for my sport I would not even consider doing so without comprehensive travel Insurance. Unlimited medical cover is probably the most important component of course....and such policies come (usually) with a range of useful other cover.... I am sceptical (possibly unfairly) of CC cover....
HawaiiO and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:46 am

I travel a lot. Never purchased travel insurance. My personal health insurance covers me almost anywhere. If something happened to me I would just stay wherever that might be and recuperate.

If flights, cruises or hotels are cancelled by the entity I would receive a refund or credit.

Personally, I've never had anything cancelled where I didn't receive a credit or refund.

In my entire life, I've only used a purchased warranty/insurance add-on once, and that was for a homeowners warranty insurance, when the thermostat to the furnace malfunction. That's it.

So, no I've never paid for travel insurance, and have no reason to start
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
I am from the UK. I would not travel without it.

If I need healthcare abroad, I would not be covered without travel insurance.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Travel insurance" is a very broad term and covers many things (or not).

You should consider whether you have coverage for:
1. Medical expenses overseas (you can expect to be asked to pay the full amount up front)
2. Emergency repatriation, e.g. medevac.
3. Third-person, e.g. your travel companion.
4. Post-hospitalization, e.g., who pays for the hotel and food if you are overseas and can't fly home for 30 days.

People often focus on the smaller items, but those are likely to be the least of your problems, e.g. hotel room, lost luggage. Not that you should not consider them, but they are not the starting point.

Before you say that your CC provides "travel insurance" it pays to read the certificate (not the marketing brochure). You will likely be quite shocked at your exposure.
Old Oct 12, 19, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
"Travel insurance" is a very broad term and covers many things (or not).

You should consider whether you have coverage for:
1. Medical expenses overseas.
2. Emergency repatriation, e.g. medevac.
3. Third-person, e.g. your travel companion.
4. Post-hospitalization, e.g., who pays for the hotel and food if you are overseas and can't fly home for 30 days.

People often focus on the smaller items, but those are likely to be the least of your problems, e.g. hotel room, lost luggage. Not that you should not consider them, but they are not the starting point.

Before you say that your CC provides "travel insurance" it pays to read the certificate (not the marketing brochure). You will likely be quite shocked at your exposure.
Absolutely. Post hospitalization is key here. That will definitely involve daily hotel expenses. However, I never budget for food no matter where I go, because no matter where you are at (including at home), you have to pay for food. It's not an additional expense, only if you eat above your normal daily real life budget. However, if you're sick or injured, food isn't something high on your list so grocery store basics will suffice.
Old Oct 12, 19, 5:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
Absolutely. Post hospitalization is key here. That will definitely involve daily hotel expenses. However, I never budget for food no matter where I go, because no matter where you are at (including at home), you have to pay for food. It's not an additional expense, only if you eat above your normal daily real life budget. However, if you're sick or injured, food isn't something high on your list so grocery store basics will suffice.
If you're unable to travel, you might be unable to go to the grocery store and your hotel room is unlikely to have kitchen facilities, so you might be at the mercy of room service and inflated hotel prices, even for water, coffee and breakfast.
Old Oct 12, 19, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you're unable to travel, you might be unable to go to the grocery store and your hotel room is unlikely to have kitchen facilities, so you might be at the mercy of room service and inflated hotel prices, even for water, coffee and breakfast.
I've been sick before for 2 weeks straight while traveling and in the bed the entire time. Believe me, hotels will make sure you're ok. If you give the staff the money, they will personally go to the store and get you what you need. Even if your room doesn't come with a fridge, they will store your stuff. Besides that, the only thing I could eat or drink that entire time was water, tea and potato chips 😂
Old Yesterday, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Buy. The. Insurance. Seriously. Buy It. I'm obviously a bit biased since medevacs are what I do, but we don't come cheap. Anticipate about $7-10K per loaded flight hour. Europe to US can easily hit 80K. Get hurt in Australia, and it might top $200k to get you home. You might think you can just hang out and recuperate there, but that may not be an option. What if you're no longer capable of making that decision and your family wants you home? I transported two patient like that just this month. One had a severe stroke while on holiday, the other was in a horseback riding accident. Don't make your family be the folks holding fundraisers at the parish church. Buy the insurance.
trooper likes this.

Search this Thread