FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:18 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the voting structure in Star Alliance, I suspect that it won’t be too long until Star Alliance sets up a third elite level across the Alliance, with the current * Gold status level benefits being further devalued — all while the new, higher Alliance elite tier becomes sort of like what * Gold used to be. One way I would expect this to play out is with the lounge access provision being cut back for the status level that is *G today, perhaps beginning with elimination of the free guest.

The lounges which I use in Europe and Asia and North America tend to be at their most crowded when I see most people entering the lounge alone. So I don’t expect guest elimination to do me any good when I’m in the lounges. But these changes too won’t be done because of “overcrowding”; these changes will be done because of airline initiatives to cut airline costs and to more comprehensively milk airline customers.
If they did this, wouldn't you expect them to follow the OW model? I would think that *G would continue to get access to business class lounges, but the higher tier would get access to first class lounges.