FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy to Business Upgrade Availability
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:29 pm
purple1addict

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philipph
Thank you very much for your answer. I do have some quick follow up questions I hope that's okay and if its too much I don't expect another answer :-)

1. I checked the Book with Qmiles way of looking for it but I am confused as it shows the possibility to book a J ticket with Qmiles on QR8 from LHR on the 18th, I thought that indicates upgrade availability but apparently that's not the case. May I ask what you use to look up the upgrade availability? (I could then check myself instead of bothering you)

2. I am flexible with the date and time, so basically any flight on the 17th, 18th or 19th out of LHR and LGW would work for me in principle (somehow I have a preference for the Qsuites flights because I did not fly in them yet but that's not the primary objective ). Is there something on the other days that would work?

3. Even when it shows an upgrade is available I somehow would assume that it's not given that I would get one when requesting it but could only hope for it. Is that true?

Best from Zurich
Philipp
No problem - ask away!

1. The J availability you've seen is only for 2 X qmiles, which is only for full award redemptions (not upgrades). If standard award availablity shows, then that is normally for upgrades too.

2. Just checked BAEC (as the QR app isn't working for me right now...) for QR-operated flights departing LHR and LGW:

17 Feb: no standard J awards
18 Feb: QR330 (1) & QR328 (2) from LGW
19 Feb: QR2 (1) from LHR - with QSuites*

*general caveat applies re QR aircraft changes, although LHR routes are a safer bet for QSuites than most

3. Normally with standard award availability you can upgrade Economy Saver and above fare classes. The online upgrade system is pretty good and can usually be completed within minutes of your eticket being issued. Occasional issues have been reported here, but they seem to be random web glitches and are not the norm.

So just the 1 QSuite award left right now for your dates.

Good luck!!