Economy to Business Upgrade Availability

Old Jan 14, 20, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Economy to Business Upgrade Availability

Good evening everyone

Newbie in the forum and non native English speaker so please excuse any unclarities arising from that.

I am planning on flying
London to DOH on the 18th of February 2020
DOH to ZRH on the 24th of February 2020

The relevant part of the itinerary is the London to Doha flight.
I was originally planning on taking the ~2pm flight out of LGW because it is the cheapest but then I saw that I can get an Economy Saver for only 40 pounds more out of LHR on the 3pm flight (QR8 so to have the Qsuites for the potential upgrade).
I have 35k Qmiles laying around that I will probably not use otherwise so I think this is my one chance to use them for an Economy to Business upgrade for the London to Doha leg.
The required Qmiles are 40k from Saver or 30k from the Eco Value fare. (So either book Value directly or buy the remaining 5k needed to upgrade from Saver)
Before I book the flight out of LHR I was wondering how I can find out whether an upgrade is available or whether someone here is so kind to do that for me (I saw that happening in other threads even though I don't know how that works ).
If I won't be able to get an upgrade for the LHR to DOH, I rather book the LGW flight because it is cheaper and also for me the more convenient airport to get to.

I appreciate any kind of information or help you can give me.

Cheers
Philipp
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Not currently available for QR8 (or any from LHR on 18 Feb) I'm afraid. You can ask at airport but they do limit airport upgrades (with qmiles) to 2 J seats per flight from LHR.

If it helps, LGW is currently showing 1 J award on QR330 and 2 J awards on QR328.

You should be able to check on QR website (toggle to "use qmiles" when searching for your flights) and/or try a BAEC account. For your future reference

Last edited by purple1addict; Jan 14, 20 at 4:25 pm
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your answer. I do have some quick follow up questions I hope that's okay and if its too much I don't expect another answer :-)

1. I checked the Book with Qmiles way of looking for it but I am confused as it shows the possibility to book a J ticket with Qmiles on QR8 from LHR on the 18th, I thought that indicates upgrade availability but apparently that's not the case. May I ask what you use to look up the upgrade availability? (I could then check myself instead of bothering you)

2. I am flexible with the date and time, so basically any flight on the 17th, 18th or 19th out of LHR and LGW would work for me in principle (somehow I have a preference for the Qsuites flights because I did not fly in them yet but that's not the primary objective ). Is there something on the other days that would work?

3. Even when it shows an upgrade is available I somehow would assume that it's not given that I would get one when requesting it but could only hope for it. Is that true?

Best from Zurich
Philipp
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by philipph View Post
Thank you very much for your answer. I do have some quick follow up questions I hope that's okay and if its too much I don't expect another answer :-)

1. I checked the Book with Qmiles way of looking for it but I am confused as it shows the possibility to book a J ticket with Qmiles on QR8 from LHR on the 18th, I thought that indicates upgrade availability but apparently that's not the case. May I ask what you use to look up the upgrade availability? (I could then check myself instead of bothering you)

2. I am flexible with the date and time, so basically any flight on the 17th, 18th or 19th out of LHR and LGW would work for me in principle (somehow I have a preference for the Qsuites flights because I did not fly in them yet but that's not the primary objective ). Is there something on the other days that would work?

3. Even when it shows an upgrade is available I somehow would assume that it's not given that I would get one when requesting it but could only hope for it. Is that true?

Best from Zurich
Philipp
No problem - ask away!

1. The J availability you've seen is only for 2 X qmiles, which is only for full award redemptions (not upgrades). If standard award availablity shows, then that is normally for upgrades too.

2. Just checked BAEC (as the QR app isn't working for me right now...) for QR-operated flights departing LHR and LGW:

17 Feb: no standard J awards
18 Feb: QR330 (1) & QR328 (2) from LGW
19 Feb: QR2 (1) from LHR - with QSuites*

*general caveat applies re QR aircraft changes, although LHR routes are a safer bet for QSuites than most

3. Normally with standard award availability you can upgrade Economy Saver and above fare classes. The online upgrade system is pretty good and can usually be completed within minutes of your eticket being issued. Occasional issues have been reported here, but they seem to be random web glitches and are not the norm.

So just the 1 QSuite award left right now for your dates.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks again

I just booked the QR328 out of LGW on the 18th and tried to upgrade it but the Qatarairways page is showing me that there are no award upgrades available.
I will probably check again before the flight sometime but I don't expect something to become available.

Thank you very much for your help though. I highly appreciate your kindness.

Best
Philipp
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by philipph View Post
Thanks again

I just booked the QR328 out of LGW on the 18th and tried to upgrade it but the Qatarairways page is showing me that there are no award upgrades available.
I will probably check again before the flight sometime but I don't expect something to become available.

Thank you very much for your help though. I highly appreciate your kindness.

Best
Philipp
Oh, I'm so sorry - it's no longer showing any availability, so someone must have beaten you to it I suggest you arrive early and ask at check-in for an airport upgrade. Please let us know!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: