FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:25 pm
UA_Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by hirohito888
PVG-ORD
UA836
Boeing 777-200
Meal: dinner, breakfast

Disappointing meals as usual. The main was particularly disappointing, not creative and nothing premium about the ingredients.
Thanks for posting the photos. As much as I love posting photo meals, I just cannot be bothered with posting UA meal photos anymore.
The whole presentation looks terrible. the chilled appetizer seems to be experiencing another cost enhancement.

I now look forward to finishing the meal services early on UA, so I can move on doing my work, sleep or watching the IFEs. I bring my own midnight flight snacks that is more healthy, tasty and fresh.
Again, the taste of food is subjective, but the quality of ingredients, preparation and presentation of food are clearly need a lot of improvement to be considered "premium". If a customer pays Y and upgrade to C, perhaps the focus is more on the comfort of the seats than the quality of the food and beverage. However, for any customers paying thousands of $ to experience premium cabin offerings, UA clearly falls short.

Sure! There will always be opposing view that "Don't expect gourmet dinner" on the plane" etc., but if other airlines (including a number of smaller airlines from emerging markets) can consistently deliver and meeting premium cabin customer expectation, at least UA needs to raise it standard to that "average" level instead constantly meeting just the bare minimum. For example, the same Gategoumet kitchen that prepare inflight meals for UA also prepare for SQ, BR and others at some of the airport locations. I know the ingredient is the cost issue, but why the presentation and preparation are better on other airlines than UA?

In responding to survey email after each United flight, I make sure I express my dissatisfaction with onboard meal offerings.

I do see from your photo above, you got two small bottle of jams...perhaps that is the "enhancement" is talking about! ;-)

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 8, 2020 at 8:40 pm