FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Records Special Impairment Charges on HK Routes
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:00 pm
UA_Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
A number of Asian airlines have cut flights to HK and/or downsized their planes serving the HK routes.

A number of trade and industry conferences, that have been staged in HK in the last years, have been moved to Mainland China and/or Macau.

IMHO, it will be a long recovery for HK.

The question that has been raised by my clients and my competitors: Have we seen the peak of HK in its history (150 years) of political/economic cycle, or will HK ever get back to its glory day of pre-China opened up period in the early 90s.

Most have come to the conclusion that there is no growth potential in HK for the long run. Almost 70% of its vibrant capital market are companies with mainland China connections, and it is no longer an international capital market as been perceived in eyes of public.

According to one economist friend of mine: “Sadly we are witnessing the rise and decay of an economy in front of our eyes as it evolves in the geo-political history cycle.”

I hope that is not the case and still cautiously optimistic.

Hope UA routes will flourish eventually.