FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold for life, time to switch?
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:28 am
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

threethousand Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by threethousand
Hello everyone, my first post here so apologies if this is something that has been addressed before.

I’ve been trying to figure this out but wondering if someone smart here can help me answer this.

- I was recently awarded gold for life.
- Most years I get to GGL haven’t yet this year at (1600 TP but look like I will).
- I fly first on all of my long haul trips (mostly LAX-LHR) so get access to the Concorde room and first lounge anyway.
-I moved to the US a few years ago so fly more internally with American but use my BA FF when I do.
-I’m flying less that I used to so unlikely to get to Gold guest list for life.

Is now a good time to switch to American loyalty program? Is there anything that they offer that my status at BA won’t match?
Questions BA vs AA from people who live in UK or USA are not uncommon

What do you use the avios for?
What benefits do you get from BA status?
If flying long haul in a premium cabin, status does not get you many extra benefits.

Some of the main difference
  • BA status will get you lounge access for USA domestic flights. The equivalent AA status will not
  • AA status will/can get you upgrades (~on the upgrade list and/or SWU). With BA status not on the upgrade list
  • AA is a revenue based ffp. Program changes are making it harder to get AA status (as AA want)

Other threads
28 Nov 2019 - Ditch UA 1K for BA Gold ? Lives in USA. 14 transatlantic & 30 domestic US flights.
23 Oct 2019 - AA and BA Account Lives in USA. Has AA account. Sign up for BA?
15 Jul 2019 - Which loyalty program for US to London on BA? Lives in USA. Family trip to UK
12 Dec 2018 - Just moved to London: AA versus BA versus United UA 1K & AA lifetime Gold (AA forum). Good BA AA summary

Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

I would stay with BA ffp and consider flying another alliance for some flights