FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whistleblower: TSA reduced wait time by relaxing security measures
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:19 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whistleblower: TSA reduced wait time by relaxing security measures

Not sure how much stock to put in this CNN story. A fairly senior TSA employee is claiming that several steps have been taken to speed up check point screening, all of which are increasing threats to travelers. The one claim that
"It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. We are long overdue for an attack."
doesn't hold water in my opinion. To say that the country is due for an attack makes it sound like an attack at some point is assured. I don't think that's the case, not saying it couldn't happen but very few things are guaranteed.

TSA reduced wait time by relaxing security measures, whistleblower says

Brainard's complaints come as US airports are experiencing record-breaking numbers of travelers. On December 1, the TSA screened more than 2.8 million passengers, making it the busiest day in the agency's history, according to Airlines for America, an industry trade organization and lobbying group for major US airlines. TSA estimates that 42 million passengers will stream through the checkpoints at US airports between December 19 and January 5 -- an increase of 3.9% from the same period a year ago, the organization said in a press release.
There has to be a balance between checkpoint flow and security, I think almost everyone would agree with that point.. However, if everyone was patted down and all bags hand searched commercial air travel would be greatly reduced and I bet few want that to happen.