Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whistleblower: TSA reduced wait time by relaxing security measures

Old Dec 20, 19, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not sure how much stock to put in this CNN story. A fairly senior TSA employee is claiming that several steps have been taken to speed up check point screening, all of which are increasing threats to travelers. The one claim that
"It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. We are long overdue for an attack."
doesn't hold water in my opinion. To say that the country is due for an attack makes it sound like an attack at some point is assured. I don't think that's the case, not saying it couldn't happen but very few things are guaranteed.

TSA reduced wait time by relaxing security measures, whistleblower says

Brainard's complaints come as US airports are experiencing record-breaking numbers of travelers. On December 1, the TSA screened more than 2.8 million passengers, making it the busiest day in the agency's history, according to Airlines for America, an industry trade organization and lobbying group for major US airlines. TSA estimates that 42 million passengers will stream through the checkpoints at US airports between December 19 and January 5 -- an increase of 3.9% from the same period a year ago, the organization said in a press release.
There has to be a balance between checkpoint flow and security, I think almost everyone would agree with that point.. However, if everyone was patted down and all bags hand searched commercial air travel would be greatly reduced and I bet few want that to happen.
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:58 pm

The "whistleblower" has been with the TSA for 17 years. Anybody who has been with that organization for that long either can't find a new job or is ......... fill in the blank.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 20, 19, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
The "whistleblower" has been with the TSA for 17 years. Anybody who has been with that organization for that long either can't find a new job or is ......... fill in the blank.
The whistle blower is the most senior TSA official in Kansas.
Old Dec 21, 19, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
The whistle blower is the most senior TSA official in Kansas.
Who has truly drunk of the TSA Kool-Aid.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 21, 19, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Kansas is the top target of all true terrorists.
Old Dec 21, 19, 2:27 pm

We are overdue for an attack. However, some weaknesses will never be exploited. Some might.
Old Dec 21, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Not sure how much stock to put in this CNN story. A fairly senior TSA employee is claiming that several steps have been taken to speed up check point screening, all of which are increasing threats to travelers. The one claim that doesn't hold water in my opinion. To say that the country is due for an attack makes it sound like an attack at some point is assured. I don't think that's the case, not saying it couldn't happen but very few things are guaranteed.

There has to be a balance between checkpoint flow and security, I think almost everyone would agree with that point.. However, if everyone was patted down and all bags hand searched commercial air travel would be greatly reduced and I bet few want that to happen.
The TSA misses 95% of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries while they are looking for water and watching to see if people are whistling or exhibiting contempt for the screening process. There is no chance that the TSA could prevent a concerted, planned terrorist attack. The TSA believes that intrusiveness=security, and that not knowing what a NEXUS card is and refusing to look at the list of valid IDs enhances security. Intrusiveness does not equal security, but being intrusive is all the TSA knows how to do.

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Kansas is the top target of all true terrorists.
I thought it was Kansas City because they have some crazy little women there.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 21, 19 at 5:29 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Dec 21, 19, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In order for the TSA to continue to exist (defined as: the TSA to continue to receive the appropriations), they must continue to invent threats that only they can mitigate. That's just how things work here inside the Beltway.
Spiff, CountZero and petaluma1 like this.
Old Dec 21, 19, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A318neo View Post
We are overdue for an attack. However, some weaknesses will never be exploited. Some might.
I don't buy into the concept that we are due for an attack. While an attack of some kind could happen there is certainly no timeline for such. In my opinion if an attack happens it will be from unscreened parties that handle baggage, load aircraft, or even the maintainers. To this day TSA refuses to address this crevasse in security safeguards..
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Not sure how much stock to put in this CNN story. A fairly senior TSA employee is claiming that several steps have been taken to speed up check point screening, all of which are increasing threats to travelers. The one claim that doesn't hold water in my opinion. To say that the country is due for an attack makes it sound like an attack at some point is assured. I don't think that's the case, not saying it couldn't happen but very few things are guaranteed.

Originally Posted by A318neo View Post
Is there a schedule of attacks published somewhere that I could reference? I'd like to know when an attack is due so I can schedule around it.

I agree with Boogie Dog - the concept that we are "due" for an attack has no more credence than the idea that we are "due" for a civil war, a 9.0 earthquake, or an extinction-level event. It's a silly superstition about random natural or man-made events.

I don't buy into the concept that we are due for an attack. While an attack of some kind could happen there is certainly no timeline for such. In my opinion if an attack happens it will be from unscreened parties that handle baggage, load aircraft, or even the maintainers. To this day TSA refuses to address this crevasse in security safeguards..
I doubt that. The trend of terrorist attacks in the US has been toward mass shootings, while Europe has seen an uptick in stabbings and vehicle attacks.

But the next attack on commercial aviation that catches us completely off guard and surprises the general public in the same way that 9/11 did will be something based outside of the airport proper, something like the laser toner cartridge bombs of 2010. It will involve an attack vector that's currently not thought of, like perhaps poisoning the food of an entire group of flights or shooting down a plane with an improvised SAM. Drone strikes (i.e. deliberately imitating a bird strike using a drone or drones) are a possibility, but the technical difficulty of these very high, and the potential effectiveness is unpredictable.

Anything coming from inside the airport, either from passengers, flight crew, or airport employees, is far less likely because inside the airport is where we are looking. The next sucker punch, just like 9/11, will come from a place where we are not currently looking.
Spiff, YadiMolina and petaluma1 like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Is there a schedule of attacks published somewhere that I could reference? I'd like to know when an attack is due so I can schedule around it.

I agree with Boogie Dog - the concept that we are "due" for an attack has no more credence than the idea that we are "due" for a civil war, a 9.0 earthquake, or an extinction-level event. It's a silly superstition about random natural or man-made events.

I doubt that. The trend of terrorist attacks in the US has been toward mass shootings, while Europe has seen an uptick in stabbings and vehicle attacks.

But the next attack on commercial aviation that catches us completely off guard and surprises the general public in the same way that 9/11 did will be something based outside of the airport proper, something like the laser toner cartridge bombs of 2010. It will involve an attack vector that's currently not thought of, like perhaps poisoning the food of an entire group of flights or shooting down a plane with an improvised SAM. Drone strikes (i.e. deliberately imitating a bird strike using a drone or drones) are a possibility, but the technical difficulty of these very high, and the potential effectiveness is unpredictable.

Anything coming from inside the airport, either from passengers, flight crew, or airport employees, is far less likely because inside the airport is where we are looking. The next sucker punch, just like 9/11, will come from a place where we are not currently looking.
I truly hope that no terrorist attack of any kind happens in the future. I agree that an attack from an unexpected vector stands a good chance of success. In my opinion not enough attention is given to under wing threats and could end up being one of the unexpected vectors.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Dec 23, 19 at 10:50 am
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:32 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post

I think their statements are more along the lines of hyperbole in terms of a schedule. I think they are just operating with a natural human tendency to expect that something is going to happen at some point, and that preparing for that eventuality is a reasonable step in life.

I do not subscribe to the firm belief that we are overdue for an attack, or that we are specifically going to be a focus in targeting because it has been so long - I do, however, believe that preparing for emerging threats, while keeping up with older threats is integral to continuing to prevent large scale attacks. In that I encompass the entire security oriented .gov groups, not just TSA in the checkpoints or bag rooms. TSA and these other security groups are "game-planning" and training for things that have not happened, so they can try to prevent it from becoming a more serious threat moving forward. The training we do at TSA now, is light years ahead of the training we used to get, it is more in-depth, it covers a much larger spectrum of thinking (including interpersonal skills). You may not see a difference, but as an insider, I have seen a serious maturing of the workforce and training over my time here. One thing that is certain about the world, is that things are always changing, at TSA, at DHS, at my home, and your home.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Until I can take a bottle of water or cup of coffee through a checkpoint, it will remain complete BS because any updated "threat preparedness" will be based on the initial stupidity of taking off shoes and throwing away beverages. Or how four 3-ounce bottles are no threat but but one 12-ounce bottle is. Or how a 75 year old is no threat but a 74 year old is.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:41 am

I truly hope that no terrorist attack of any kind happens in the future. I agree that an attack from an unexpected vector stands a good chance of success. In my opinion not enough attention is given to under wing threats and could end up being one of the unexpected vectors.
IF there are any organized terrorists out there, they would have attacked passengers standing in long TSA lines. Coordinated attacks at multiple airports would set air travel back on its heels.
mctaste and Spiff like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:44 am

They call it “security theater” for a reason. I do not think less theater will make us any less safe.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: