FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OneWorld Illiterate Traveler - Question
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:27 am
madmexusa

Programs: AA EXP/CK 8 MILLION MILES, DL, UA MILLION MILER, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND, HERTZ PRESIDENTS
Originally Posted by RJPA
Hello, AA flyers.

I've flown Delta/Skyteam 99% of the time for the past several years (Diamond and all that). In April next year, my wife and I are going to Bali and Singapore. Due to the travel distance/time, we would like to fly J for lie-flat seats. DL/KE are charging $9k-$10k per person whereas AA/Cathay/JAL are half the price at $4.8k. Below is the itinerary I'm looking at.

Is there a catch here as to why it's so much cheaper? I'm not familiar at all with the OneWorld alliance equipment/service.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

4/10/2020
BNA to LAX AA2202 on 738
LAX to HKG AA193 on 773
HKG to DPS AA8915 on Cathay 773

4/18/2020
SIN to HND AA8488 on JAL 777
HND to DFW AA8478 on JAL 789
DFW to BNA on AA2502 on 738
As a person who flies often to Bali in biz class, I would keep an eye out on the flyertalk premium flyer deals ... many of the Chinese airlines and Turkish offer pretty good deals from time to time. If you leave x-Europe, you can find QR from Europe to Bali for €1600 (x-OSL, ARN, FCO, MXP seem to work well) r/t as well as deals on other airlines. Another trick is to fly to KUL, SIN or even BKK where deals abound and you can get to Bali pretty cheaply.

The Skyteam fare seems excessive .. possibly the stop in SIN, the oneworld fare seems about right for x-USA without a deal but with a bit of work you can do much better.

Good luck.