FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wheelchair assistance - what do you get?
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:33 pm
spursdebs

Originally Posted by Definitas
I have limited mobility and, depending on personal circumstances on the day, I make use of assistance to get to the gate. Assistance at Heathrow is patchy at best. Worst still is assistance at the gate if no lift is available (due to unserviceable lifts or absence of lifts) and help has left you at the gate and gone. The worst scenario at LHR is arrival, particularly if arrival is at a remote stand. There is almost never help on hand to get down steps and onto a bus. Assistance at the bus arrival area is also rarely available. Sitting on board and waiting for help is never a good option as you can find yourself on your own or perhaps with cleaners. Leaving your travelling companion whilst travelling on a buggy that doesn't have room for them is also unwise as you can struggle to reunite with them. The best approach if you need help with stairs and hand luggage is to request assistance from fellow travellers which I find is often freely provided. LHR ranks fairly low in terms of assistance in my experience and BA have shown themselves to be happy to abandon me presumably in the belief that it isn’t their problem.
sorry this is terrible advice, you can’t rely on other passengers.
if you need assistance you book it, if you can’t manage stairs ( like me) you will have to wait for ambulift and wheelchair.

assistance at LHR/LGW is trying to say the least but I understand the current contractors have lost their contract and new company taking over soon.

assistance at UK airports has to be contracted out by EU law not wishing to open that can of worms but maybe that might change soon.

it’s very easy to book level of help required go into your MMB and tick which box applies, or phone up the assistance line.

just remember when using assistance everything takes longer as you have to wait for chair, wait for ambulift if remote stand wait to get off plane normally crew ask you wait till everyone else has got off.

I normally find airports outside the UK are very good very organised if only UK airports could learn to be as efficient.