Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair assistance - what do you get?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 9:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Wheelchair assistance - what do you get?

I am about to travel with someone who has an accident and will be discharged from hospital. Will be flying VIE-LHR-HKG

When I book wheelchair assistance, what will this provide? Will there be a wheelchair from kerbside, or from check in counter or from ... where?

I assume at LHR transit, we will be greeted at T3 with a wheelchair and they will help us transit to T5.

And at HKG end, do you know if the wheelchair assist will take you all the way to a taxi or I will need to arrange a wheelchair to meet me at HkG?
Old May 1, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by sxc
I am about to travel with someone who has an accident and will be discharged from hospital. Will be flying VIE-LHR-HKG

When I book wheelchair assistance, what will this provide? Will there be a wheelchair from kerbside, or from check in counter or from ... where?

I assume at LHR transit, we will be greeted at T3 with a wheelchair and they will help us transit to T5.

And at HKG end, do you know if the wheelchair assist will take you all the way to a taxi or I will need to arrange a wheelchair to meet me at HkG?
Firstly, sorry to hear that your travel companion has been in hospital, and hopefully they are recovering in a timely fashion.

It is worth chatting this through directly with BA, there is a range of support available and this will largely depend on the individual's needs. It is also important to ensure that if they are in hospital, any hoops that need to be jumped through to ensure they are safe to fly are followed (I've put a few people on flights back from foreign climates following injuries and illness, and on one occassion, they nearly got refused the flight by VS as the RAF (who co-ordinate this) hadn't informed them of the nature of the flight. They particularly need to know if there will be restrictions on mobility in case of evacuation to ensure this is highlighted to the crew and appropriate seats are assigned, any oxygen requirements, ensure any casts are not full-casts (due to pressure changes) etc.

When I've booked from LHR in the past, my mum went from the train using her own mobility scooter to the dedicated desk, some airports at outstations will co-ordinate this. From there she continued to use her own mobility scooter up until the airplane door, where it was removed and put in the hold, but she was offered a use of a wheelchair from BA (complete with a person to push) and also buggy transfer.

Update: Looking at VIE website, request through BA and they will provide you assistance. If you are unable to get to the mobility desk, they will come fetch from the taxi/car. details https://www.viennaairport.com/en/pas...essible_travel. LHR, you will be met at the gate and transferred across. HKG airport details are https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/p...ccess#content4, again they offer meeting someone kerbside or at the bus station, so I imagine you can be dropped off there too.
sxc likes this.

Last edited by navylad; May 1, 2019 at 9:40 am
Old May 1, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can't speak for VIE, and I've always been mobile enough to get myself to check in, so can't tell about kerbside. It does however all seem to be geared to your making your own way as far as check-in.

For LHR T3 to T5, they will be met at the aircraft and taken to connections, then met at the other end, and picked up from the lounge in time for departure.
At HKG they will be assisted to the taxi rank if required (happened to me).
On the way back from HKG, again I got assistance from check-in.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Speak to Special Assistance as they will need to be sure that your companion is fit to fly - confirmation from hospital etc as well as sort out the actual assistance.

Being discharged from hospital does not automatically mean someone is fit to fly

There is a list of conditions on BAs website where special restrictions apply. - https://www.britishairways.com/en-fr...-and-pregnancy
Old May 1, 2019, 12:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks all for your help.

Yes we we will have a fit to fly report from the doctor. Wish me luck!

Some additional information for future reference in case this helps, when contacting BA to rebook the flight, they told me that the change fees would not be charged, however there will be a fare change assessed. My travel insurance tells me that they will cover this - let’s hope they don’t weasel out of that.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Additional question: in club Europe, is row 1 designated for assistance passengers, so that if someone already has that assigned BA will clear it?
Old May 1, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL
For a variety of reasons my partner has had limited mobility for a number of years. He can manage a few hundred meters on crutches, but wouldn’t be able to make it to the gate, certainly at an airport like Heathrow or Hong Kong, and would struggle with steps.

You can add assistance to your booking via the BA website under manage my booking and then disability and mobility assistance. There are three levels of wheelchair assistance - help to the aircraft, help to and onto the aircraft (if you can’t manage steps) and finally help to an onto the aircraft using the onboard wheelchair.

As posted above, these do all rely on being able to get to the terminal, though not necessarily check-in. At LHR there are self push wheelchairs available at the assistance area before check-in, so if you are accompanying someone you can grab one and get the to check in. These are also often abandoned in the car park near the lifts at T5...

On arrival they’ll certainly meet you at the airport and take you via the transfer desk to the right gate. For straight arrivals they’ll take you via baggage collection back to the carpark. I usually tip them for this bit. At Hong Kong they’ll take you to the taxi rank - we were there in Feb

Let me know if I missed anything!
Old May 1, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Additional question: in club Europe, is row 1 designated for assistance passengers, so that if someone already has that assigned BA will clear it?
You can’t sit in exit rows, for obvious reasons, but we have been seated in row 1 of Club Europe. Wether they’d kick someone else out I don’t know...

LHR assistance as a ‘premium’ passenger is much worse than most other airports, as if a buggy is used (it usually is at T5) you may well have to wait for any passengers in economy who’ve also booked assistance. And if they’re transferring not going to arrivals you’ll drop them of first. Most airports are better at this, and US and Asia Pac airports are generally pretty good.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Just a report back from Vienna. Arrived at the airport 3 hours before flight, check in desk doesn’t open until 2.5 hours before flight.

Airport services refers you to the ground handling agent (Celebi) who then says they can’t call for wheelchair assistance. It can only be done by the check in desk.

Pretty woeful.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You will find the times for when the check-in desk opens for most locations, including VIE, in Manage My Booking / Check-in / Other ways to check-in. Many, perhaps most shorthaul stations will be 2 hours or 2.5 hrs. Some (LCY Greek islands) are 90 minutes. It is standard procedure outside the larger airports that check-in arranges the liaison with the airport's special needs team (e.g. see post 2), LHR is a bit different in that it can be done directly or via check-in.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Lhr assistance

My wife needs level I assistance--ie wheelchair to the aircraft door. and she take at least 12 long haul flights a year to USA , South Africa and Far East . LHR is by far the worst airport and long ago gave up expecting anything that could be considered a reasonable service level. . Never had a problem at a destination airport but arriving at Terminal 5 and going to Treminal 3 is always a nightmare. . I try and grab a wheelchair and not rely on anybody. when going between terminals at LHR.

My wife was recently discharged from a hospital at JNB and taken direct from the hospital to the airport and the BA service was amazing but went downhill when we arrived at LHR. .Half hour after the last person left the A380 and the crew wanting to go home a wheelchair and buggy arrived and we were dumped in the luggage hall. Had to resort to pushing the wheelchair and luggage trolley together until fellow passenger saw I was struggling and helped me to BA lounge who then made a complaint to LHR..

HKG assistance is something completely different --- first class.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I find all the airports to be great. One thing I was told by a BA phone agent was special assistance can get access to bassinet seats Pre-72 hrs EG WT+ front row or the bulkhead in CW. However, when she tried to book it for us it was impossible to do on the system. But worth asking about.

If one of you is able to push the chair I would do that. Frequently at T5 they have one pusher with more than one chair so it is done in relay or you need to wait. I always push my wife and prefer this. You also don't then need to wait for a pusher if you are in the lounge on a long transfer.
sxc likes this.

Last edited by GlasgowCyclops; May 4, 2019 at 2:39 am Reason: added extra details
Old May 5, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Generally you will be expected to make it to the check-in desk to get the wheelchair. Depending on mobility that may mean going inside to get a wheelchair to then head back to kerbside but definitely you can expect one to collect you from check-in if you make it that far. Don't know VIE but from general experience you may get some of the following:
check-in may ask/tell you (request, encourage etc) to go to the assistance counter somewhere in the airport to get a wheelchair - politely decline and make the wheelchair come to you
you may get handed off several times - check-in to assistance desk , then to assistance desk airside, then to lounge etc by different pushers.
They may try and get you to walk through security to assistance airside to reduce their workload if busy - again politely decline as this is also through gift shop etc and ends up being long
All of these are more likely to happen at a busier, larger and understaffed airport so VIE may be ok and a single person all the way through.

At Heathrow they use a 6-seater buggy and have a single wheelchair. They shuttle people to the buggy and then the buggy makes several stops taking people to their flights. This means it gets full as almost everyone has a companion and the driver means only 5 seats. They may ask you to head out on your own while your companion gets the buggy. I don't recommend this. Stay with them and insist they get another buggy if needed. Space in the buggy is limited so if you can reduce hand luggage that helps. Not changed terminals at Heathrow so not sure how they get you from 3 to 5.

In general it all takes longer so allow more time. It can take a while to get a wheelchair to check-in so arrive early. They will take you to the lounge and collect you again.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always found LHR really stressful over the past few years when we try to travel. Wheel chiar assistance is not easy at the airport and the distance to the gates, are just a bit too far to walk without being in pain. Its okay because I dropped the business travel to the overseas offices and that is now covered by other people. So my travel means I always have my wife to help look after bags and help in general. But being let down over wheel chair provision is disheartening when its something I need. Especially on the flights to the US, there arent options that are easily coming from south London.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:44 am

In our experience Heathrow T5 is one of the worst terminals you can use if you need assistance based on our experience in the last 18 months or so. I can’t think of a worse EU airport, and US ones beat it hands down. HKG, BKK, SIN, KUL, MEL and SYD are also far better. T3 is better, because they don’t seem to use buggies and have a one wheel chair / multiple pusher approach, which means you’re treated as an individual all the way from plane to the car park or check-in to the gate.

BA will tell you that it’s Heathrow’s responsibility to provide assistance, which is true I’m sure. But the assistance on American from T3 is consistently better than on BA from T3 (admittedly I’m comparing long haul to short haul at T3, but it’s shouldn’t differ). BA have just pointed me at Heathrow, so I’m currently in communication with them on this. Will keep you posted!
red duster likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.