FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:57 am
ContinentalFan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Second to Gordon Bethune, who else has done a better job running the airline?

Hey, the guy fixed the coffee situation. That, alone, is worthy of sainthood.

In all seriousness, much appreciation and respect for Mr. Munoz. I think he's done a good job rescuing a merger that was swirling the bowl. Remember where we were when he took the helm - scandal, no FA contract, angry everyone (employees, customers, etc.) - horrible metrics all around.

Look at where we are now. Credit where credit's due. If the major complaint is that airline food is put on a plate before it gets on the plane ... I'd say we're through the worst of it, ya know?
I’m an Oscar fan too. I’d forgotten about the coffee; it’s clearly a miracle. Mr Kirby needs to pick a Bond villain as president, if he’s also to be part of the pantheon. For all the criticisms, the new CEO isn’t that bad. If he patched things up with employees (think loaves and fishes!) and rebooted morale that would be a good move.

Oscar mentioned making United the world class airline or words to that effect. I love that ambition. I’d love to see the new CEO map out a plan to get there.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Dec 5, 2019 at 9:04 am