Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry

Oscar will be stepping down next May and Kirby will be stepping up to run United

Last edited by J.Edward; Dec 5, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: DL Silver - 1MM, UA Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
.. oh, good.. this will go well ...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Munoz stepping down, Kirby replacing

breaking right now. changes take place May2020
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Lord help us all. /Prayer.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
No surprise of course.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 2MM
So no more cameo appearances in the UA safety video then!
dkracing likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
So no more cameo appearances in the UA safety video then!
But then who will hold up umbrellas for flight attendants?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by steveo
But then who will hold up umbrellas for flight attendants?
De nada!

I will say though that in the Star Wars video they actually caption who he is which makes it even lamer.

This was going to happen years ago but then they dragged Doak off the plane so it got delayed. UA equity is performing well enough that the board got over it.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
This is going to make Jeff S look like he was a benevolent CEO.

Given changes to MP program, I think Kirby will be gone in a year or two. This will either all blow up or he will be the evil genius. I predict the former....but who knows...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just another reason why leaving UA is a good idea.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Scott Kirby has been the de facto CEO for quite some time now; certainly, he's been at the strategic helm of the ship since he walked in the door, so this should come as a surprise to no one. Oscar's charge was to "clean up" the Smisek mess, get a flight attendant deal done and finish the merger. I think he succeeded beyond expectation in that regard. Second, while we bellyache about cheap service cuts and degradation of the passenger experience, United's financial performance over the past 3 years is primarily attributable to Scott Kirby's strategic initiatives (which were quite unpopular on Wall Street when first conceived), and so I think it's to Oscar's credit that he recognized his own limitations vis-a-vis airline industry experience and let Kirby run with such a controversial plan.

This is a fairly orderly transition, with plenty of notice, so there's no reason to believe it's health-related. 2020 would have been 5 years since Oscar came in, so it's a natural time to make a leadership change. It's notable that this will be the first internal CEO change at United in 20+ years, and only its second in about 50 years. It's pretty much uncharted territory at this company to bring in a new executive absent some sort of seismic upheaval, like scandal (Smisek>Munoz), merger (Tilton>Smisek), bankruptcy (Creighton>Tilton), 9/11 (Goodwin>Creightton), an ESOP (Wolf>Greenwald) or a major business failure (Allegis/Ferris>Wolf).

I think the point is, very little will change with Kirby as CEO.
dw, BearX220, hscottm and 14 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Scott Kirby has been the de facto CEO for quite some time now; certainly, he's been at the strategic helm of the ship since he walked in the door, so this should come as a surprise to no one. Oscar's charge was to "clean up" the Smisek mess, get a flight attendant deal done and finish the merger. I think he succeeded beyond expectation in that regard. Second, while we bellyache about cheap service cuts and degradation of the passenger experience, United's financial performance over the past 3 years is primarily attributable to Scott Kirby's strategic initiatives (which were quite unpopular on Wall Street when first conceived), and so I think it's to Oscar's credit that he recognized his own limitations vis-a-vis airline industry experience and let Kirby run with such a controversial plan.
I think this is a pretty good summary of events. Unfortunately it probably doesn't bode well for the mileage plus program, IMO.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:32 am

It could also be seen as a defensive move by the UA board. There were rumors that AA was considering making an offer to bring him back.
PTahCha likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus
The fact that UA warriors hate him so much is probably why the board liked him lol
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:34 am

It's important to note that he was scheduled to be promoted to the role of chairman of the board of UCH at the 2018 annual stockholders' meeting, but the Dao incident prevented delayed that from happening.

As already observed in C-suites all over the country in recent years, once a PR storm is over and everyone forgot what happened, the scheduled rewards, promotions and bonuses are awarded to the involved people anyway.

Next up: Dennis Muilenburg.
twomonger likes this.

Last edited by mozilla; Dec 5, 2019 at 6:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.