FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How would you log a flight that diverts back to the departure airport?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:18 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@codfather, as long as it took off, I would log it. For instance, last year I was doing an IAH-YYC that had a bird strike on takeoff. We circled around IAH for a while and then landed after they decided they couldn't ascertain what damage had been done and needed to abort, then we had to burn off some fuel. A couple hours later, with new crew and a new plane, we took off again. So my FlightMemory has 2x UA1780 that day, one IAH-IAH and the other IAH-YYC.

But to each his own. I keep track of gate-to-gate times. I know some people prefer to track only time in the air. On the couple of flights I've had that have diverted for tech stops only, I have logged those just based on the original route, e.g. YYC-IAH that diverted to HOU, I didn't enter a YYC-HOU and a HOU-IAH, I just left it as YYC-IAH, because I feel like if no one is allowed to get on or off the plane, it's still the same flight. I'm sure plenty of people would feel that each takeoff and landing should be tracked separately. And so on and so forth.

Originally Posted by tracon
Me too.
The mileage won't be accurate, but the segment count and time will be correct.
For flights that return to the same airport (whether due to diversion or because they're sightseeing flights), I will typically use FlightAware to estimate the distance and then override the calculated 0 distance with that number. If it's a plane/helicopter that isn't tracked on FlightAware, I just take a rough estimate of time and and average speed and calculate something approximate.

Originally Posted by Katamarino
I assume you're not a pilot, so why would you be logging a flight in the first place? Do you log every bus, train or car journey too?
Not sure why you feel the need to be so critical. This is something that a great many people are interested in. In addition to FlightRadar's service mentioned by the OP, there's FlightMemory (to which ~200,000 people have signed up), OpenFlights, BA97, and probably a few others out there allowing people to keep track of their flights.