Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How would you log a flight that diverts back to the departure airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS

So for the first time ever today, I had a flight return to the departure airport due to a mechanical issue. I log all of my flights using the FR24 tool.

How would you guys log a flight like this (on FR24)? I am considering not logging it at all because it wasn't a "completed" flight segment.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Which AC flight was this?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
AC7801

But if you are tracking it on FA, type EV801 into the search box and choose the flight with "unknown owner" not ExpressJet.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
@codfather scattered his posts across different threads...

Originally Posted by codfather
Sitting in YYT MLL until AC7783 departs for Gander. Lousy weather here today, I wouldn't be surprised if my flight gets cancelled...

Originally Posted by codfather
Moving this here...

I made it as far as YQX without issue. Boarded the next flight to YYR, departed on-time, but turned around about 20 minutes in due to a mechanical issue (deicing problems on the BEH) and returned to YQX. They have since fixed the issue, but we are now delayed due to weather.

Oddly enough, the PAL airlines flight that just landed from YYT is continuing onto YYR without any "weather delays"...
and seeing his response above, it seems that s/he actually didn't mention the flight in question, or I missed it.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@codfather scattered his posts across different threads...

and seeing his response above, it seems that s/he actually didn't mention the flight in question, or I missed it.
Codfather is a he

And you are correct, I neglected to mention it. See my post above yours though for the number.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Does a return-to-origin due to a mechanical problem count as a "Somewhat scary one" near Gander??
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by marke190
Does a return-to-origin due to a mechanical problem count as a "Somewhat scary one" near Gander??
No, because this one from April 20th 2016 at YQX is scarier.
marke190 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:19 pm

I track all my flights as well. If we went up, and came back down, I would log it as AC1234 sfo 0800 sfo 1000. Cause thats what I flew.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
When I was training for the instrument rating, the correct FAA terminology for a flight that departs from and arrives back at the same airport was called round robin. I'd put it in the remarks section of the flight plan. So I'd log it as "round robin"....

https://discussions.flightaware.com/...ight-plan/5483
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I track all my flights as well. If we went up, and came back down, I would log it as AC1234 sfo 0800 sfo 1000. Cause thats what I flew.
Me too.
The mileage won't be accurate, but the segment count and time will be correct.

Originally Posted by timfountain
When I was training for the instrument rating, the correct FAA terminology for a flight that departs from and arrives back at the same airport was called round robin. I'd put it in the remarks section of the flight plan. So I'd log it as "round robin"....
As a fellow aviator, I would call it a round robin, if the intent is to depart and arrive at the same airport.
If the flight returned because of weather or maintenance, I would call it a diversion.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:02 pm

In 15 years as a pilot I've never heard a flight referred to as "round robin".

I assume you're not a pilot, so why would you be logging a flight in the first place? Do you log every bus, train or car journey too?
blue2002 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@codfather, as long as it took off, I would log it. For instance, last year I was doing an IAH-YYC that had a bird strike on takeoff. We circled around IAH for a while and then landed after they decided they couldn't ascertain what damage had been done and needed to abort, then we had to burn off some fuel. A couple hours later, with new crew and a new plane, we took off again. So my FlightMemory has 2x UA1780 that day, one IAH-IAH and the other IAH-YYC.

But to each his own. I keep track of gate-to-gate times. I know some people prefer to track only time in the air. On the couple of flights I've had that have diverted for tech stops only, I have logged those just based on the original route, e.g. YYC-IAH that diverted to HOU, I didn't enter a YYC-HOU and a HOU-IAH, I just left it as YYC-IAH, because I feel like if no one is allowed to get on or off the plane, it's still the same flight. I'm sure plenty of people would feel that each takeoff and landing should be tracked separately. And so on and so forth.

Originally Posted by tracon
Me too.
The mileage won't be accurate, but the segment count and time will be correct.
For flights that return to the same airport (whether due to diversion or because they're sightseeing flights), I will typically use FlightAware to estimate the distance and then override the calculated 0 distance with that number. If it's a plane/helicopter that isn't tracked on FlightAware, I just take a rough estimate of time and and average speed and calculate something approximate.

Originally Posted by Katamarino
I assume you're not a pilot, so why would you be logging a flight in the first place? Do you log every bus, train or car journey too?
Not sure why you feel the need to be so critical. This is something that a great many people are interested in. In addition to FlightRadar's service mentioned by the OP, there's FlightMemory (to which ~200,000 people have signed up), OpenFlights, BA97, and probably a few others out there allowing people to keep track of their flights.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@codfather, as long as it took off, I would log it. For instance, last year I was doing an IAH-YYC that had a bird strike on takeoff. We circled around IAH for a while and then landed after they decided they couldn't ascertain what damage had been done and needed to abort, then we had to burn off some fuel. A couple hours later, with new crew and a new plane, we took off again. So my FlightMemory has 2x UA1780 that day, one IAH-IAH and the other IAH-YYC.

But to each his own. I keep track of gate-to-gate times. I know some people prefer to track only time in the air. On the couple of flights I've had that have diverted for tech stops only, I have logged those just based on the original route, e.g. YYC-IAH that diverted to HOU, I didn't enter a YYC-HOU and a HOU-IAH, I just left it as YYC-IAH, because I feel like if no one is allowed to get on or off the plane, it's still the same flight. I'm sure plenty of people would feel that each takeoff and landing should be tracked separately. And so on and so forth.

For flights that return to the same airport (whether due to diversion or because they're sightseeing flights), I will typically use FlightAware to estimate the distance and then override the calculated 0 distance with that number. If it's a plane/helicopter that isn't tracked on FlightAware, I just take a rough estimate of time and and average speed and calculate something approximate.

Not sure why you feel the need to be so critical. This is something that a great many people are interested in. In addition to FlightRadar's service mentioned by the OP, there's FlightMemory (to which ~200,000 people have signed up), OpenFlights, BA97, and probably a few others out there allowing people to keep track of their flights.
Thanks Adam! And yes, I ended up logging it! YQX-YQX sure looked funny, but seeing as how it was a takeoff and landing, it counts.

I'll have a look on FA to estimate the distance. Katamarino as Adam said, lots of enthusiasts like to log flights! Not sure why you feel the need to criticize people that do so.
marke190 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Katamarino
In 15 years as a pilot I've never heard a flight referred to as "round robin".

Since I first mentioned Round Robin , I assume you were addressing me, but not sure since you didn't quote. Anyway, if you were addressing me you assumed wrong, FAA PPL IR. Look me up on the FAA airmans database under my name... . And yes, in the US it is not uncommon for Instrument training flights to put Round Robin in the comments section for a training flight departing and arriving the same airport with multiple approaches along the way. Really surprised you've never heard of the practice....
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
how does this kind of flight count for ADM and ADS and AQD for status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.