FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most scariest situation you have been in your travels?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:22 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Air travel related - three walk-away crashes out on the Alaska Peninsula/Aleutian Islands. Miraculously nobody hurt (the planes, not so much.) All three were landing-related; two because of williwaw downdrafts, the other because one of the main gear broke off, leading to a fairly violent ground loop. Needed underwear changes.

On land - sleeping in a 2-person tent next to a salmon spawning pool on a fly-in fishing trip to a remote lake on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska. In the middle of the night I heard the fish going crazy in the pool then heard bear noises. Then said bruin bumped my arm through the tent fabric. Then did it again. I was frozen in my sleeping bag then heard the fish go nuts a second time as the bear departed the scene. In the morning I finally crept out of the tent and looked around. The paw prints were the size of dinner plates, from a very big brown bear.

On land 2 - arrested at gunpoint in Rasht, Iran, for taking a picture of a cute building that turned out to be the local office of Savak, the Shah's secret police. I was finally released after the cops learned I was working on a project for the provincial governor, who, surprise surprise, was one of the Shah's cousins.

The building - still cute -

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 29, 2019 at 8:29 am