Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the most scariest situation you have been in your travels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most scariest situation you have been in your travels?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Desirees
You mean you were there during the explosions? So glad you are ok...
Thank you. I was in the TK lounge at the time
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I was on a gay cruise with my partner during a category 2 hurricane. It was during the Storm of The Century in 1993. The captain decided to ride it out since it was an old ship with a deep draft. The ship was the SeaBreeze. The same one that sunk off North Carolina in 2000 during high seas. They think it was scuddled for the insurance, but anyhow.

It was mostly fun / scary with the exception of when they tried to serve lunch in the dining room and we got hit by a really big wave. It slammed everyone and everything against one side including the grand piano that smashed next to us. I mean it seriously looked like a disaster film scene with people all over the place and everything shattering.

The table cloths were all dampened to keep things from sliding which I thought was really clever. The other couple was terrified but being the great traveler I told them that if anything happened to just hold onto the table cause everything is bolted to the floor. Two medium waves came and there was much laughter, but then the large one hit us. My partner held onto a column and grabbed me by my belt as everything started going to one side. The other two guys both did as I had said and grabbed the table, but whoops, I was wrong. Not bolted to the floor. My bad.

We made it back to Miami kind of tilting into port. There weren't too many injuries. They said it could have been really bad had the ship been carrying its usual load of elderly travelers instead of a bunch of guys.

Before getting back, Susan Anton entertained us in the lounge and we all sang The Morning After from The Poseidon Adventure. Fun memories.

Last edited by tmorse6570; Dec 25, 2019 at 3:54 am
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
This thread made for some interesting reading. Someone should collect stories like these and get a book published.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Felucca ride - Aswan Dam. High winds and the vessel started swaying back and forth. Both hubby and I didn’t know swimming. There were no life jackets. We just held on for dear life. Our guide kept reassuring us nothing was going to happen. After a very harrowing 30 mins we got off the oat. He then tells us there are huge crocodiles in the water and a felucca has overturned just the week before. Scary moment!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.