FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you swap out your diamond rings when traveling?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:49 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
No. How stupid. Just get insurance if it worries you.
I don't think it's necessary to call OP stupid just because you feel differently.

There are plenty of reasons to consider it depending on the particular location, nature of travel, and other situational factors.

- In some locales, avoiding showing things that draw attention to you as a target is advised. This is not only to avoid losing a flashy item itself, but the additional theft, injury, or worse that could occur.
- The potential loss could be sentimental as well as, or even more than, financial.
- Insurance isn't foolproof. And in some places it can be difficult, time consuming, or cumbersome to obtain a proper police report documenting the loss, which the insurance carrier will demand.
- The trip may involve physical activity that would subject the item to damage/loss - and there may not be a secure storage location while you're engaging in that activity.

Bottom line, I think it's something to think about at times and weigh the risks and tradeoffs. Including whether you have a good, secure location to keep it at home while you're away.

I'm not a jewelry guy so all I have is my $12 Timex watch. But my wife will leave behind all, or a portion, of her jewelry on some trips - but not others. She just decides based on the circumstances.