Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you swap out your diamond rings when traveling?

Old Nov 25, 19, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Hypothetically speaking - if you have a ~3.5 carat solitaire that you wear with your wedding band - and you are traveling outside the country - do you leave it at home? Just wear a plain wedding band during the trip?
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wouldn't this depend on where and how you're traveling (type/reputation of hotel, public transportation, etc.)
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
No. How stupid. Just get insurance if it worries you.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:24 pm

No, I don't wear expensive ornaments while travelling.
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
rotate the diamond ring so the diamond is facing in.
Old Nov 26, 19, 9:32 am
Community Director

Mostly no as the ring is a part of me but rarely yes if I have concerns about it making us a target.
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 11:21 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Yes, I swap out my jewelry. I leave my big, flashy items at home. For several reasons:
1) I don't like to stand out and we often travel to poor countries. I prefer to blend in and I definitely don't want to appear well off.
2) I don't want to lose or damage my better jewelry.
3) Theft or loss from others.

I nearly always have some kind of ring on my wedding band finger, I have "traveling jewelry" of all kinds. It's gold, but not the pricey stuff. If I were going to State Dept dinners, Fashion Shows, big Corporate Meetings or Art Openings, I'd bring nicer things, but we're usually out in the boondocks on vacation and there's nothing fancy in the our plans. Usually I'll bring one pair of earrings, one gold necklace, and two rings. I take them off at night and have one place in my luggage where they live.

When at home, I change out my jewelry quite a bit anyway, because I ride horses, cook and garden, and generally don't wear my fancy stuff that I could bang up. I used to wear my big wedding diamond 24/7, until one day a horse bucked me off and my beautiful keepsake diamond was jarred from the setting and lost in the sand forever. I've never recovered from that and I'm very careful now with my good stuff, especially rings.
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I don't think it's necessary to call OP stupid just because you feel differently.

There are plenty of reasons to consider it depending on the particular location, nature of travel, and other situational factors.

- In some locales, avoiding showing things that draw attention to you as a target is advised. This is not only to avoid losing a flashy item itself, but the additional theft, injury, or worse that could occur.
- The potential loss could be sentimental as well as, or even more than, financial.
- Insurance isn't foolproof. And in some places it can be difficult, time consuming, or cumbersome to obtain a proper police report documenting the loss, which the insurance carrier will demand.
- The trip may involve physical activity that would subject the item to damage/loss - and there may not be a secure storage location while you're engaging in that activity.

Bottom line, I think it's something to think about at times and weigh the risks and tradeoffs. Including whether you have a good, secure location to keep it at home while you're away.

I'm not a jewelry guy so all I have is my $12 Timex watch. But my wife will leave behind all, or a portion, of her jewelry on some trips - but not others. She just decides based on the circumstances.
Old Nov 26, 19, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeah insurance is going to replace my 150+yr old engraved wedding band passed down through the generations and survived both world wars
Stupid would be taking it on trips.

Wife also leaves hers behind. She has a ~$50 travel ring.
Old Nov 26, 19, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Yeah insurance is going to replace my 150+yr old engraved wedding band passed down through the generations and survived both world wars
The risk of having it lost or stolen at home is not zero, I assume you have some contingency plan in that event ?
Old Nov 26, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Member

I owned an insurance agency for 40 years. Several clients had expensive jewelry stolen ( hotel room burglary and robbery) in various countries ranging from Brazil to the UK ( and several domestically in the US).

The best insurance is to not travel with high value items if you can avoid doing so. OP had a valid question with valid concerns.
Old Nov 26, 19, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We don't own big, flashy jewelry. We got married in our 20's and still have the original rings from back then. Serious jewelry aficionados (or thieves) would find them unremarkable, and we don't take them off and leave them sitting around the hotel room anyway. So no, we don't swap out rings.

As far as other things go, it just depends on what we're doing on the trip. If it's a wedding or some other kind of black tie event, she has certain pieces she brings and puts in the hotel safe when not wearing them. But even that stuff isn't that flashy or *that* high value - not so much that we worry about it. For most international trips without any special events attached, usually no jewelry at all.
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 1:48 pm

My wife leaves the expensive stuff at home in the safe when traveling. Not taking it is more about avoiding being a target than the potential financial loss.
Desirees and Larrude like this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
my wife wears minimal jewelry.. usually one set of earrings necklace and her wedding ring,
for which she did not want a large diamond.
Other then that.. all the real fancy stuff I have gotten her in the past, stays at home, regardless of where we are traveling
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Most of our vacation travel is cruising so my wife takes and wears her pretty nice engagement, wedding band, and ring guards. Depending on where we’re traveling on shore she’ll switch to a plain band.
84fiero and Desirees like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: