FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change card renewal date?
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:34 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by The Shadow
My wife and I both have Aegean Gold. My year is up end of November, hers is up end of February. Since we usually travel together, it would be very beneficial if we could synchronize our years to start and end on (more or less) the same date, so that we accrue the necessary tier miles at the same pace. But a phone call or two to Aegean has revealed that they're not particularly interested in changing the date for us. So...
A year is the same length regardless of whether you start counting in November, or 3 months later in February.

If you travel at the same, consistent rate, then your anniversary dates don't matter. You both currrently manage, within a 12 month period, to do enough to keep Gold.

Just remain vigilant about the implications of your travel occurring in the late November to late February window, as then you are each within a "different" year.

1) First of all, does anyone know of any easy way to do change the year start/end date?
The only ways to do so are:

a) one of you deliberately loses status, and then carefully plan achieving renewed Gold on the same date as the other.
This would mean one of you not travelling with the other, and would be much, much more difficult to coordinate correctly than what is currently required of either/both of you.

Or

b) both of you deliberately lose status, and starting both from Silver, carefully plan to achieve renewed Gold, at the same time, and before the first of you hits the end of your Silver year.

2) If not... how about the following convoluted plan: I just flew 4 flights with Aegean to finish satisfying the requirements for this past year. So far only 2 of them have credited to my account. What if I do NOT request missing mileage credit for the other two flights just yet, and instead wait until February 2020 and request it then? Would my Gold be reactivated from then, with subsequent years starting/ending in February? Or would they backdate it to November (when my year currently starts/ends), and I'd be back to square one?
I would advise against this.

The date the flight occurred is what matters, not the date you request credit for the flight.

They should re-up your account, backdated to the relevant flight date, so your strategy will not work the way you want it to.

(You cannot reset your Gold requalification date unless you actually and genuinely drop down to Silver, because the only mechanism that resets a qualification date is an actual and genuine status upgrade in the "normal" manner. If, having hit Silver, you later reveal to them that your drop to Silver was actually incorrect, due to the late claiming of status miles/segments, then you are considered as a Gold maintainer, not an upgrader from Silver to Gold ( you should never have been Silver, and you definitely didn't do the full requalification all the way from Silver up to Gold). You cannot "trick" the system - you actually *have* to become Silver to have a shot at changing your requalification year. An actual, genuine, climb in status is required to change your qualification date. A deliberately "delayed" reveal of actual requalification does not count

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 23, 2019 at 5:43 am