Change card renewal date?

Old Nov 21, 19, 6:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 50
Change card renewal date?

My wife and I both have Aegean Gold. My year is up end of November, hers is up end of February. Since we usually travel together, it would be very beneficial if we could synchronize our years to start and end on (more or less) the same date, so that we accrue the necessary tier miles at the same pace. But a phone call or two to Aegean has revealed that they're not particularly interested in changing the date for us. So...

1) First of all, does anyone know of any easy way to do change the year start/end date?
2) If not... how about the following convoluted plan: I just flew 4 flights with Aegean to finish satisfying the requirements for this past year. So far only 2 of them have credited to my account. What if I do NOT request missing mileage credit for the other two flights just yet, and instead wait until February 2020 and request it then? Would my Gold be reactivated from then, with subsequent years starting/ending in February? Or would they backdate it to November (when my year currently starts/ends), and I'd be back to square one?

Last edited by The Shadow; Nov 21, 19 at 6:14 pm Reason: Subject wasn't clear enough
The Shadow is offline  
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:46 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Heraklion, Greece
Posts: 6,732
Yes, they would backdate it to November. Still, I don't understand why it's beneficial to have (more or less) the same days as start/end dates for your memberships. Do you also wear unisex clothes or eat the same foods? But, of course, different strokes for different folks...
Tokyoite likes this.
KLouis is offline  
Old Nov 21, 19, 9:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Helsinki
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Posts: 991
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Yes, they would backdate it to November. Still, I don't understand why it's beneficial to have (more or less) the same days as start/end dates for your memberships. Do you also wear unisex clothes or eat the same foods? But, of course, different strokes for different folks...
I guess it's easier to requalify for Gold as couple traveling together if membership starts at the same.
miikkak is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:29 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Heraklion, Greece
Posts: 6,732
Originally Posted by miikkak View Post
I guess it's easier to requalify for Gold as couple traveling together if membership starts at the same.
Why is it easier? Qualification is based purely on status miles (points) awarded and A3/OA flights taken by any individual within a 12 month period, irrespective of whether the individual is accompanied on the(s) flight(s) by his/her wife/husband, lover, boss, you name it.
KLouis is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 5:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: EU
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Why is it easier? Qualification is based purely on status miles (points) awarded and A3/OA flights taken by any individual within a 12 month period, irrespective of whether the individual is accompanied on the(s) flight(s) by his/her wife/husband, lover, boss, you name it.
I'm assuming not the (re)qualification per se but the logistics of it.
Cookoovaya is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:44 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Posts: 88
Both me and my partner are A3 gold and have our requalifiication dates in September. Given that we travel to/from New Zealand/Europe it just makes life a whole lot easier to have regualification dates aligned.
ClanJ is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:27 pm
  #7  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,651
I believe the only way to do it would involve dropping to silver. If you both drop to silver then requalify for gold on the same flights, your membership dates will be aligned thereafter. This is because Aegean uses rolling 12 month periods when moving up tiers, but once you are gold and stay gold your year is stuck.

You could also only let one person drop to silver but then you would have to plan very carefully. Not sure if A3 uses the exact day or if it's always the 23rd of each month? If the former then it would be very difficult to align them perfectly.

Obviously this would require double the usual mileage requirement to get back to gold.

There are a few other ways I can think of which involve closing your Aegean accounts and/or changing your name(s).
Tokyoite likes this.
:D! is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 1:54 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 5,642
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I believe the only way to do it would involve dropping to silver.
I don't think Aegean has soft landings. You drop right back to blue if you let your Gold status lapse, therefore it would be quite expensive to get back up to Gold.
headingwest is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 2:31 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: BRU
Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
I don't think Aegean has soft landings. You drop right back to blue if you let your Gold status lapse, therefore it would be quite expensive to get back up to Gold.
You can drop to silver if you reach the requirements for Silver and not for Gold:
During your requalification period for Gold you reach 2 A3 flights and at least 8000 miles instead of 4 A3 flights and 12000 miles. Then you will "drop" to Silver.
unusualtravelblog is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 2:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 5,642
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog View Post
You can drop to silver if you reach the requirements for Silver and not for Gold
Ah yes, that makes sense.

That would still make it quite expensive to get back to Gold. I can understand why a couple would want to align their membership years, but in this case I would probably leave things as they are.
headingwest is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 5:02 am
  #11  
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Posts: 6,189
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
I don't think Aegean has soft landings. You drop right back to blue if you let your Gold status lapse, therefore it would be quite expensive to get back up to Gold.
There is definitely a soft landing from Gold to Silver.

From the M+B T&Cs:
C. GOLD Card:

The Gold Member must accumulate 12,000 Tier Miles including four (4) flights with Aegean or/and Olympic Air or a total of 24,000 Tier miles regardless of the partner airline, within a period of twelve consecutive months from the date when he/she became a Gold Member, so that his/her Card can be automatically renewed for 1 year. It shall be made clear that any amount of Tier Miles beyond that required for retaining tier will not be taken into account for retaining Gold tier. If the Gold Member does not manage to accumulate the above Miles within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the Silver Tier.
As has been said, A3 will not change year ends. In a lot of programmes it can be beneficial to have staggered renewal dates when always travelling together because if for any reason status is temporarily lost one partner can guest the other.

Unfortunately A3ís much harder qualification compared to re-qualification make this a much less attractive proposition for many ...
NWIFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 5:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
...it can be beneficial to have staggered renewal dates when always travelling together because if for any reason status is temporarily lost one partner can guest the other.
This would have been my point exactly, but for a different question/argument: If their plan is to always travel together and accrue the miles simultaneously, then why would both of them need Gold in the first place? (doesn't a gold's "plus one" always get lounge access and gold check-in or does it have something to do with baggage allowances etc.?)
Tokyoite likes this.
giorginho is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 6:12 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: A3*G
Posts: 79
Well, you could always ask A3 to shorten your membership year, if this is so important to you.
Arrivals is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 6:34 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,462
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
My wife and I both have Aegean Gold. My year is up end of November, hers is up end of February. Since we usually travel together, it would be very beneficial if we could synchronize our years to start and end on (more or less) the same date, so that we accrue the necessary tier miles at the same pace. But a phone call or two to Aegean has revealed that they're not particularly interested in changing the date for us. So...
A year is the same length regardless of whether you start counting in November, or 3 months later in February.

If you travel at the same, consistent rate, then your anniversary dates don't matter. You both currrently manage, within a 12 month period, to do enough to keep Gold.

Just remain vigilant about the implications of your travel occurring in the late November to late February window, as then you are each within a "different" year.


Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
1) First of all, does anyone know of any easy way to do change the year start/end date?
The only ways to do so are:

a) one of you deliberately loses status, and then carefully plan achieving renewed Gold on the same date as the other.
This would mean one of you not travelling with the other, and would be much, much more difficult to coordinate correctly than what is currently required of either/both of you.

Or

b) both of you deliberately lose status, and starting both from Silver, carefully plan to achieve renewed Gold, at the same time, and before the first of you hits the end of your Silver year.

Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
2) If not... how about the following convoluted plan: I just flew 4 flights with Aegean to finish satisfying the requirements for this past year. So far only 2 of them have credited to my account. What if I do NOT request missing mileage credit for the other two flights just yet, and instead wait until February 2020 and request it then? Would my Gold be reactivated from then, with subsequent years starting/ending in February? Or would they backdate it to November (when my year currently starts/ends), and I'd be back to square one?
I would advise against this.

The date the flight occurred is what matters, not the date you request credit for the flight.

They should re-up your account, backdated to the relevant flight date, so your strategy will not work the way you want it to.

(You cannot reset your Gold requalification date unless you actually and genuinely drop down to Silver, because the only mechanism that resets a qualification date is an actual and genuine status upgrade in the "normal" manner. If, having hit Silver, you later reveal to them that your drop to Silver was actually incorrect, due to the late claiming of status miles/segments, then you are considered as a Gold maintainer, not an upgrader from Silver to Gold ( you should never have been Silver, and you definitely didn't do the full requalification all the way from Silver up to Gold). You cannot "trick" the system - you actually *have* to become Silver to have a shot at changing your requalification year. An actual, genuine, climb in status is required to change your qualification date. A deliberately "delayed" reveal of actual requalification does not count

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 23, 19 at 6:43 am
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Nov 24, 19, 4:09 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 50
Thanks for all the responses, everyone!

And yes, as some here have touched upon: having the same renewal date simply eases the logistics of renewing, rather than having any travel between November and February affect each one of us differently.

And for those who asked why we both need Gold: most airlines only give the extra luggage benefit to the cardholder, not necessarily to everyone on the reservation (the way United does).
The Shadow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: