FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai [Master Thread]
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:40 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I have stayed at this hotel a few times during the past months, usually for 1-2 nights. I would ONLY stay here if rates are around the CNY 1,000.- level, which they were during my last few visits. Anything higher than that, and I would go back to my "usual" hotels in the Jing An area...either The Sukhothai or the Jing An Shangri-La. Even though these two alternatives can be around CNY 1,400 - 1,500.-, I feel they are more with it than staying at the Portman.

I am highest-tier Elite with all three programs...Marriott Bonvoy, World of Hyatt and Golden Circle.

I get practically no Elite recognition at the Portman. I have never been upgraded to a standard suite (which should be a Titanium benefit), and the typical upgrade is to a slightly bigger room at the "ends" of the corridors. Staff at the Portman, while polite, and never more engaging than that. I receive friendlier service at the other two hotels.

Years ago, I absolutely avoided this hotel at all costs. I hated the long queues for taxi, and the bellboys never went out to hail taxis for guests either. The queues would just accumulate longer and longer, and all had to wait for a taxi to drive in to the hotel, drop off their passenger, and then pick one up. Now, with the popularity of taxi-hailing apps such as DiDi, this long queue issue has been solved somewhat.

In sum, I would only recommend this hotel if the rates were significantly attractive enough.
I still lament the fact that RC took over the Portman from SL in 1997.