Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai [Master Thread]

Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai

Just checked upcoming reservation at marriott.com, and the reservation for this week was upgraded (1+ days in advance) form a 'regular room' to 'Shanghai Room, Larger Guest room.'

I guess they are recognizing MR Platinum Status in reservations.

Very happy to be earning MR points, and mega-bonus at this Ritz Property.

Will report back on any other 'interesting' details.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai

Just checked upcoming reservation at marriott.com, and the reservation for this week was upgraded (1+ days in advance) form a 'regular room' to 'Shanghai Room, Larger Guest room.'

I guess they are recognizing MR Platinum Status in reservations.

Very happy to be earning MR points, and mega-bonus at this Ritz Property.

Will report back on any other 'interesting' details.
Mega bonus?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by hoteleksperten
Mega bonus?
Marriott Rewards MegaBonus Promotion

Hopefully, Participating Marriott Brands: JW Marriott, Autograph CollectionSM, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, The Ritz-Carlton will include the Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai. (Was going to have to stay at this property anyway). At minimum, earning points will be nice.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
What's Platinum treatment like here?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Any recent reviews?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:16 pm

I have stayed at this hotel a few times during the past months, usually for 1-2 nights. I would ONLY stay here if rates are around the CNY 1,000.- level, which they were during my last few visits. Anything higher than that, and I would go back to my "usual" hotels in the Jing An area...either The Sukhothai or the Jing An Shangri-La. Even though these two alternatives can be around CNY 1,400 - 1,500.-, I feel they are more with it than staying at the Portman.

I am highest-tier Elite with all three programs...Marriott Bonvoy, World of Hyatt and Golden Circle.

I get practically no Elite recognition at the Portman. I have never been upgraded to a standard suite (which should be a Titanium benefit), and the typical upgrade is to a slightly bigger room at the "ends" of the corridors. Staff at the Portman, while polite, and never more engaging than that. I receive friendlier service at the other two hotels.

Years ago, I absolutely avoided this hotel at all costs. I hated the long queues for taxi, and the bellboys never went out to hail taxis for guests either. The queues would just accumulate longer and longer, and all had to wait for a taxi to drive in to the hotel, drop off their passenger, and then pick one up. Now, with the popularity of taxi-hailing apps such as DiDi, this long queue issue has been solved somewhat.

In sum, I would only recommend this hotel if the rates were significantly attractive enough.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I have stayed at this hotel a few times during the past months, usually for 1-2 nights. I would ONLY stay here if rates are around the CNY 1,000.- level, which they were during my last few visits. Anything higher than that, and I would go back to my "usual" hotels in the Jing An area...either The Sukhothai or the Jing An Shangri-La. Even though these two alternatives can be around CNY 1,400 - 1,500.-, I feel they are more with it than staying at the Portman.

I am highest-tier Elite with all three programs...Marriott Bonvoy, World of Hyatt and Golden Circle.

I get practically no Elite recognition at the Portman. I have never been upgraded to a standard suite (which should be a Titanium benefit), and the typical upgrade is to a slightly bigger room at the "ends" of the corridors. Staff at the Portman, while polite, and never more engaging than that. I receive friendlier service at the other two hotels.

Years ago, I absolutely avoided this hotel at all costs. I hated the long queues for taxi, and the bellboys never went out to hail taxis for guests either. The queues would just accumulate longer and longer, and all had to wait for a taxi to drive in to the hotel, drop off their passenger, and then pick one up. Now, with the popularity of taxi-hailing apps such as DiDi, this long queue issue has been solved somewhat.

In sum, I would only recommend this hotel if the rates were significantly attractive enough.
I still lament the fact that RC took over the Portman from SL in 1997.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
This is my pick for worst RC property in the world
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Did you have a chance to stay there when SL managed it? The rooms haven't gotten any bigger, but it was a class act back then.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you. Rates are low for my dates, but I’m going with the St. Regis then.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Thank you. Rates are low for my dates, but Im going with the St. Regis then.
Beijing Lu doesn't hold a candle to Nanjing Lu.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Thank you. Rates are low for my dates, but Im going with the St. Regis then.
A bit off topic here, but the St. Regis Shanghai does not fare well on my list either. Check in frequently takes FOREVER. Check in is at 3 or 4 desks, but I have never seen all four desks manned at the same time. Usually 2-3 staff there only. I can never figure out why it takes them so long to enter information into the computer system, and why there is so much info to enter???!!! It never seems like that at other hotels. As a result, long queues develop with guests and luggage all scattered around the lobby area waiting to be checked in.

English proficiency at a hotel of this level is dismal.

Dining is extremely expensive, but is somewhat alleviated by the Marriott Bonvoy dining discounts this year. (And, since I usually book through Amex FHR, I have a USD 100 dining benefit to use as well, which is applied AFTER the dining discounts.)
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by moondog
Did you have a chance to stay there when SL managed it? The rooms haven't gotten any bigger, but it was a class act back then.
Nope, stayed once, it was a RC, never returned. I like the Pen in Shanghai now.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
A bit off topic here, but the St. Regis Shanghai does not fare well on my list either. Check in frequently takes FOREVER. Check in is at 3 or 4 desks, but I have never seen all four desks manned at the same time. Usually 2-3 staff there only. I can never figure out why it takes them so long to enter information into the computer system, and why there is so much info to enter???!!! It never seems like that at other hotels. As a result, long queues develop with guests and luggage all scattered around the lobby area waiting to be checked in.

English proficiency at a hotel of this level is dismal.

Dining is extremely expensive, but is somewhat alleviated by the Marriott Bonvoy dining discounts this year. (And, since I usually book through Amex FHR, I have a USD 100 dining benefit to use as well, which is applied AFTER the dining discounts.)
Yeah, I stayed at the St. Regis once, 10 days after it has opened.
I would actually really like to try the EDITION, but its so expensive and upgrades etc. are limited. Hmm.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Harsh! It's definitely the worst RC I've stayed at in Asia, though. St. Regis Jingan is far from the best St. Regis in Asia but it's still light years ahead of this place and a much better pick if you have to be in this part of Shanghai.

My pick is the EDITION for the service / views / restaurants. I also really like the W.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.