FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Philippines 10 days suggestions
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:50 pm
jeffrocowboy

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by RustyC
I've been to the Philippines 20 or so times (though not since the start of the Duterte presidency). Manila is not the easiest place to like, as the negatives hit you right away and it takes time for the positives to build up. Touristy Manila is centered around Intramuros, Rizal Park and maybe Binondo and the Baywalk, so a hotel like Manila Hotel (where The Beatles stayed in 1966, I think) is in the center of the area and the Malate hotels are nearby. Manila traffic is really, really bad. Many here prefer the Makati hotels because you've got the biggest names and most luxury, but Makati itself has mostly bank buildings and malls, like some U.S. exurb. It can take the better part of an hour to get between Makati and Malate if there's much traffic.

I had the great privilege of getting to Boracay in 1995 and 1996 and it was really nice then, but it's likely way overbuilt now...I'd do the research. Would head instead to either El Nido or the islands north of that. Sometimes the transit links are a challenge or a bit overpriced, but the Philippines isn't overbuilt like Thailand (except maybe for Boracay).

I still haven't made it to Vigan but would say to expect a more raw and lived-in version of a historical place. In the U.S. they tend to get turned into gingerbread villages with gift shops and fudge shops and all that, whereas in the Philippines the historic structures may not have even been renovated yet. The plus is that it hasn't been overrun by tourism, whereas the minus is that it could be a little boring and you might want a nicer restaurant than exists in the whole town.

The Banaue rice terraces are really something to see, though you can't just drop in and drop out.

Cebu and Mactan have some acceptable beaches and resorts. Though beaches aren't at the same level as some of the islands, Cebu has restaurants, malls, the Magellan site and a lot of big-city things but more manageable than Manila. There's also Bohol, which has Alona Beach and a chance to see the Chocolate Hills.
The above is all good advice. Although I do like to stay in Makati and go out to places from there.

My partner (who is from PHL) recommends to people we know to go to Bohol - there are plenty of things to do and there is a number of operators taking you to the popular spots (we booked via a tout on the beach - but probably safer to go through your hotel). The Hennan Hotel is a good mid-price choice - especially if you like swimming pools.

I do like Boracay - went just before it was closed for 6 month rehabilitation. I believe it is less busy now, which would be a bonus. There are a range of hotel options and prices. Have not been to El Nido or Coron which are other possibilities.

Vigan is pretty and historical, but one night is enough to see all the sights as its quite compact - I would weigh up whether it's worth the effort as you have rightly noted it's a journey to get there. We did a drive round the northern parts of Luzon so it was included along with other places.

Manila traffic is bad - but really have not been that inconvenienced on 10 or so trips. Always allow plenty of time though to get anywhere. Grab Taxi app is your friend - forget regular taxis - too much drama 'negotiating'.