Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Philippines 10 days suggestions

Old Nov 4, 19, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue

Hi, I need advice about planning a trip of 10 days in Jan.
iI arriveMNL Jan 01 and leave from there Jan 11.
I would like to visit Manila for a day or 2, go to Vigan as I like culture and history , maybe for 2 days and than add a beach holiday for the remaining time. I wes thinking of Boracay but maybe you can suggest me something else ( more genuine, less touristic etc ) I realize also that getting to Vigan from anywhere else than Manila is quite time consuming as the airports both LAO and TUG are quite distant and have few flights
Any suggestions?
thank you
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue
Nothing? Anyone?
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
I've been to the Philippines 20 or so times (though not since the start of the Duterte presidency). Manila is not the easiest place to like, as the negatives hit you right away and it takes time for the positives to build up. Touristy Manila is centered around Intramuros, Rizal Park and maybe Binondo and the Baywalk, so a hotel like Manila Hotel (where The Beatles stayed in 1966, I think) is in the center of the area and the Malate hotels are nearby. Manila traffic is really, really bad. Many here prefer the Makati hotels because you've got the biggest names and most luxury, but Makati itself has mostly bank buildings and malls, like some U.S. exurb. It can take the better part of an hour to get between Makati and Malate if there's much traffic.

I had the great privilege of getting to Boracay in 1995 and 1996 and it was really nice then, but it's likely way overbuilt now...I'd do the research. Would head instead to either El Nido or the islands north of that. Sometimes the transit links are a challenge or a bit overpriced, but the Philippines isn't overbuilt like Thailand (except maybe for Boracay).

I still haven't made it to Vigan but would say to expect a more raw and lived-in version of a historical place. In the U.S. they tend to get turned into gingerbread villages with gift shops and fudge shops and all that, whereas in the Philippines the historic structures may not have even been renovated yet. The plus is that it hasn't been overrun by tourism, whereas the minus is that it could be a little boring and you might want a nicer restaurant than exists in the whole town.

The Banaue rice terraces are really something to see, though you can't just drop in and drop out.

Cebu and Mactan have some acceptable beaches and resorts. Though beaches aren't at the same level as some of the islands, Cebu has restaurants, malls, the Magellan site and a lot of big-city things but more manageable than Manila. There's also Bohol, which has Alona Beach and a chance to see the Chocolate Hills.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
I've been to the Philippines 20 or so times (though not since the start of the Duterte presidency). Manila is not the easiest place to like, as the negatives hit you right away and it takes time for the positives to build up. Touristy Manila is centered around Intramuros, Rizal Park and maybe Binondo and the Baywalk, so a hotel like Manila Hotel (where The Beatles stayed in 1966, I think) is in the center of the area and the Malate hotels are nearby. Manila traffic is really, really bad. Many here prefer the Makati hotels because you've got the biggest names and most luxury, but Makati itself has mostly bank buildings and malls, like some U.S. exurb. It can take the better part of an hour to get between Makati and Malate if there's much traffic.

I had the great privilege of getting to Boracay in 1995 and 1996 and it was really nice then, but it's likely way overbuilt now...I'd do the research. Would head instead to either El Nido or the islands north of that. Sometimes the transit links are a challenge or a bit overpriced, but the Philippines isn't overbuilt like Thailand (except maybe for Boracay).

I still haven't made it to Vigan but would say to expect a more raw and lived-in version of a historical place. In the U.S. they tend to get turned into gingerbread villages with gift shops and fudge shops and all that, whereas in the Philippines the historic structures may not have even been renovated yet. The plus is that it hasn't been overrun by tourism, whereas the minus is that it could be a little boring and you might want a nicer restaurant than exists in the whole town.

The Banaue rice terraces are really something to see, though you can't just drop in and drop out.

Cebu and Mactan have some acceptable beaches and resorts. Though beaches aren't at the same level as some of the islands, Cebu has restaurants, malls, the Magellan site and a lot of big-city things but more manageable than Manila. There's also Bohol, which has Alona Beach and a chance to see the Chocolate Hills.
The above is all good advice. Although I do like to stay in Makati and go out to places from there.

My partner (who is from PHL) recommends to people we know to go to Bohol - there are plenty of things to do and there is a number of operators taking you to the popular spots (we booked via a tout on the beach - but probably safer to go through your hotel). The Hennan Hotel is a good mid-price choice - especially if you like swimming pools.

I do like Boracay - went just before it was closed for 6 month rehabilitation. I believe it is less busy now, which would be a bonus. There are a range of hotel options and prices. Have not been to El Nido or Coron which are other possibilities.

Vigan is pretty and historical, but one night is enough to see all the sights as its quite compact - I would weigh up whether it's worth the effort as you have rightly noted it's a journey to get there. We did a drive round the northern parts of Luzon so it was included along with other places.

Manila traffic is bad - but really have not been that inconvenienced on 10 or so trips. Always allow plenty of time though to get anywhere. Grab Taxi app is your friend - forget regular taxis - too much drama 'negotiating'.
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:33 pm

Coco Grove Resort, Siquijor. https://www.cocogrovebeachresort.com.../bougainvilla/ Ask for the Bougainvilla...owned by an Australian...Joy is the manager. Be sure to visit the Magic tree...you can ask it a question...but you have to ask it permission first...you must travel to Dumaguete in order to get to Siquijor. There’s white sand beaches on Siquijor, be sure to have lunch at the Why Not in Dumaguete and visit Apo Island...there’s sea turtles...and near Santander, Cebu...whale watching.

Last edited by ObligedFriend; Nov 12, 19 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:55 pm

Avoid Mindanao and Palawan,Mactan Manila...Cebu city...and Bohol...the place to go is Siquijor...there’s no crime..because of the Witches. I have been to Coco Grove 4 times...it’s enchanting,...Atmosphere in Dauin is nice if you have deep pockets. There’s an Italian restaurant in Dumaguete started by the former chef of Frank Sinatra. Pasta King. An Austrian chef has a restaurant named Casablanca.
Old Nov 12, 19, 7:17 pm

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
What is wrong with Mindanao? It is a huge island and there are some nice places too. But for me Corrigedor Island is a must as it is still very well maintained and all the tunnels where they lived during the Japanese bombardment is still intact. A lot of things are intact there if history is what you are looking for.
Old Nov 12, 19, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
What is wrong with Mindanao? It is a huge island and there are some nice places too. But for me Corrigedor Island is a must as it is still very well maintained and all the tunnels where they lived during the Japanese bombardment is still intact. A lot of things are intact there if history is what you are looking for.
Mindanao is currently under Martial Law...for starters.
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by ObligedFriend View Post
Mindanao is currently under Martial Law...for starters.
It has been under Martial Law from 2017. Apart from the areas in Bangsamoro Region there is no difference at all. I am usually there every three months around Davao and I see no difference. Anyway they are going to lift it today or this week most probably. It is a beautiful place, especially in the south east.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
It has been under Martial Law from 2017. Apart from the areas in Bangsamoro Region there is no difference at all. I am usually there every three months around Davao and I see no difference. Anyway they are going to lift it today or this week most probably. It is a beautiful place, especially in the south east.
UK travel....warning....avoid travel to Mindanao.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Yesterday, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by ObligedFriend View Post
UK travel....warning....avoid travel to Mindanao.
So what? It has been there for many years. I go to to Mindanao and so do many others. It is like any other place. The whole of Philippines was under Martial Law for many years under Marcos. No one bothered about it.
Old Yesterday, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
for one reason - travel insurance is voided

In my work place, travel to parts of Mindanao is prohibited

so people are bothered

Search this Thread