FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What’s your tipping point to buy into F?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:09 pm
metallo

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by twitch76
Soon to be MVPG here. I’ve got a quick work trip coming up (SAN-FAT) in a couple of weeks. Main fare is $114, F is $149. Pretty certain I’ll get U, as the First cabin rarely flies full on these flights. I could pay the extra $35 out of pocket for the COS bonus miles, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I will have already attained MVPG by then, so I don’t need the miles for tier qualification.

Thoughts?
Definitely worth it... for the 75% COS bonus alone. But you should also consider that the flight could sell out, there could be IROPS, any number of reasons you might not be upgraded, so it’s always better to have a paid F ticket, especially when the premium is so low.

I flew some intra-Alaska flights like ANC-FAI this summer and always bought F because it was never more than $50-$100 over the Y fare. The math works out even better on longer flights, but to me these days, I think, why risk ending up in Y when the price difference for F is so small.