FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:20 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kayexalate
Hi, I'm trying to book an award ticket for my family of 4 from SFO to Australia. We're targeting Nov 2020, leaving Th 11/12 or Fri 11/13 and returning approximately 2 weeks later on Th 11/26 (Thanksgiving day) or Friday 11/27.

I'm only interested in non stop flights and want to do an open jaws. Since the only non stop flights to Australia from SFO are SYD, BNE and MEL, that narrows it to those 3 cities. of those, I'd definitely want SYD, and either BNE (preferred), or MEL (less preferred).

I want to use my AS miles for one way (for example, SFO-BNE (stopover)- SYD) because I don't have enough AS miles for the RT for 4 people.

I do have enough miles on AA to complete the other one way portion (SYD-SFO) for 4 people. So although all travel will be on Qantas, the miles used would come from both AS and AA.

Although Economy is ok, I'd much prefer premium economy, or business if it's available. Here is what I have in terms of miles:

AS (4 accounts): 160k, 45k, 51k, 145k,
AA: (2 accounts): 82k, 230k

I know on AS, a OW (with or without stopover) on QF is 42.5k and using AA miles on QF, is 40k.

Premium economy using AS miles is 47.5k (seems very worth it to me) and business is 55k) . Seems like AA charges 65k for premium economy on QF and business is 80k.

It seems like the flight availability on both the AS and AA website for QF flights are about 275 days out although I'm not sure if that is exactly correct and some flights seem like they're at least 4 seats available on 275 days out, but then none on 274 or 273 days out (maybe someone snagged them already)?

just looking to get some advice on how to best play this since its a bit complicated for 4 passengers and also 2 different mileage programs.

Right now, I'm thinking of using AA miles for SFO-BNE ideally on premium economy, although I don't see any premium economy seats showing up online for any flights on any date (perhaps because it's a new option and can't be booked online)

And then use my AS miles for BNE-SYD (stopover) - SFO. Ideally in business, but more likely premium economy, since I never see 4 business tickets and almost never see any premium economy. (although strangely lots of premium economy to/from MEL)

Thanks and would appreciate any advice/tips/suggestions! I also posted this on the AS thread. Apologies for the duplicate
Award flights using AA miles only start to become available at 331 days before departure; it's entirely up to QF -- not AA -- to determine what award seats to make available to partners.

Note that AA permits awards to be held without charge for up to five days. This free hold will probably be useful to you if you have to coordinate an award booking with AS miles too.

Have all of the adults in your party maxed out on the credit-card bonuses for AAdvantage miles available through both Barclays and Citi?