FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737MAX Recertification - Archive
View Single Post
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:48 pm
fly18725

Originally Posted by spin88
I am happy to be corrected if my understanding is wrong. I grew up in Seattle, have three first cousins who were engineers there (one still is, in a very senior roll), and we had numberous family friends in senior positions at Boeing. I just find it sad the direction Boeing went after they were taken over by McDonald Douglas (anyone who knows the history will make clear that while Boeing bought McDonald, the McDonald approach/executive's ended up on top) from trying to build the world's best aircraft (see e.g. the 777) to a company more focused on playing political games and focused on the quarterly results.

The end result of the last 20 years is where Boeing finds itself now.

I spent a number of years in the "if it is not Boeing, I am not going" crowd. Given a choice (in coach) of a 777 or 763 or a 330/340 I found the Boeing to be more comfortable. I loved the UD on the 742/3/4. I was/am also a big fan on the 757 in First (other than on old NWA and on HP) due to 2L boarding. However, despite being a Boeing fan boy in my youth, at least sitting in Y, it has become clear to me (or better said to my butt and shoulders) that Airbus Aircraft are at this point more comfortable. Perhaps that means I am "biased against Boeing", I rather look at it as being willing to look at things objectively.
While the A320 is 7” wider at floor level, the differential at shoulder level is less than an inch and the 737 is slightly wider at eye level. But objectively, Airbus is better because my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend told me so.