FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Claw Back of Marriott Rewards points when downgrading Marriott Brilliant?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:27 am
konaflyer

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Claw Back of Marriott Rewards points when downgrading Marriott Brilliant?

My husband had the SPG personal card for many years. He was offered in April to upgrade to the Bonvoy Brilliant card and got a huge amount of Marriott bonus points after meeting a spend requirement. I've got the SPG Luxe card when it first came out and it was name changed to the Brilliant card. We now realize that we really don't need the two cards. I should have downgraded mine since I had it for over a year. But I wasn't thinking about it when the annual fee came due in September. I'm wondering if many people have had their Marriott bonus points clawed back by AMEX like others have had with Membership Rewards points when they downgrade or cancel a card in less than a year. Any data points would be deeply appreciated since if we are going to downgrade his card, we need to do it soon.

Would we be protected from a downgrade because we had the original card for many years? Or would the downgrade 6 months after the upgrade trigger a claw back?

Thanks for your input in advance!