Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Claw Back of Marriott Rewards points when downgrading Marriott Brilliant?

Old Oct 31, 19, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

My husband had the SPG personal card for many years. He was offered in April to upgrade to the Bonvoy Brilliant card and got a huge amount of Marriott bonus points after meeting a spend requirement. I've got the SPG Luxe card when it first came out and it was name changed to the Brilliant card. We now realize that we really don't need the two cards. I should have downgraded mine since I had it for over a year. But I wasn't thinking about it when the annual fee came due in September. I'm wondering if many people have had their Marriott bonus points clawed back by AMEX like others have had with Membership Rewards points when they downgrade or cancel a card in less than a year. Any data points would be deeply appreciated since if we are going to downgrade his card, we need to do it soon.

Would we be protected from a downgrade because we had the original card for many years? Or would the downgrade 6 months after the upgrade trigger a claw back?

Thanks for your input in advance!
Old Oct 31, 19, 10:07 am

YMMV. In the past I’ve done upgrade/downgrade/upgrade/downgrade on the same Blue Cash Everyday card in the course of a month. Never received a clawback. Today it probably would be clawed back and get my account flagged. If I were you I would wait until the AF posts then downgrade. You’ll get the AF refunded.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:20 pm

Downgrade the one that already had annual fee post. You'll get a prorated refund. Keep the card that had the upgrade offer in April
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by crimsona View Post
Downgrade the one that already had annual fee post. You'll get a prorated refund. Keep the card that had the upgrade offer in April
I thought only Citi let you prorate the AF. Are you sure about the prorated refund? Will they allow the proration at any time during the year or only if you just missed the deadline?
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:27 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by konaflyer View Post
.... Are you sure about the prorated refund? ....
Discussion here. Bear in mind that downgrade and cancellation may be treated differently:

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.
Old Nov 2, 19, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by konaflyer View Post
My husband had the SPG personal card for many years. He was offered in April to upgrade to the Bonvoy Brilliant card and got a huge amount of Marriott bonus points after meeting a spend requirement. I've got the SPG Luxe card when it first came out and it was name changed to the Brilliant card. We now realize that we really don't need the two cards. I should have downgraded mine since I had it for over a year. But I wasn't thinking about it when the annual fee came due in September. I'm wondering if many people have had their Marriott bonus points clawed back by AMEX like others have had with Membership Rewards points when they downgrade or cancel a card in less than a year. Any data points would be deeply appreciated since if we are going to downgrade his card, we need to do it soon.

Would we be protected from a downgrade because we had the original card for many years? Or would the downgrade 6 months after the upgrade trigger a claw back?

Thanks for your input in advance!
Clawback isn't the only thing about which you should be worried. Even if not clawed back, how would you like to blacklisted by Amex? See here for how much Amex doesn't like what you're planning:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread