FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - just got flu shot in NY. Does it work if I'm traveling to 12 countries next 2 months?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:07 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I just realized I was still feeling the side effects yesterday, eight days after my second Shingrix shot. They're pretty much gone now. Your mileage will almost certainly vary, but it could be worse ….

The old vaccine is said to be about 50% effective, which is much better than nothing, but far inferior to the 90%+ effectiveness of Shingrix.
Did you have a reaction to the first Shingrix shot? If so, was it less or worse than with the second shot?
Too many people have nasty reactions to that, so even though any such should be over long before 3 weeks, I'd like to be able to do those last minute errands and packing without being miserable, etc., and also... without risking being someone who just has a worse reaction that lasts longer.
And yes, at least with that older shingles vaccine, there's at least some protection.
(I only know one person who had shingles, and he's someone who generally doesn't complain. But he certainly had a lot of complaints about that episode!)

Given the measles that seems to have been putting in appearances recently, I had a test for that, and I do still have immunity from when I had it as a child. Measles wasn't really on our radar until relatively recently, of course.

GC