Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

just got flu shot in NY. Does it work if I'm traveling to 12 countries next 2 months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

just got flu shot in NY. Does it work if I'm traveling to 12 countries next 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
We went to the Travel Clinic earlier today, for some specific questions and any general info the physician we see there might have.

Almost in passing, while discussing our vaccination/immunity status/etc., he asked if we had had Shingrix vaccines yet. When we told him we'd been trying to a year to find it in stock, especially for a 'first' shot, he said, "Oh, we've got it here." Duh on us! It never occurred to us to check with them...

So I got the shot this afternoon.
We figured that with 3 weeks to before our trip, to NZ/Australia, even if I have a rough reaction, I should be well recovered for the trip.
Keeping fingers crossed about how I'll be feeling in a few days...

Meanwhile, DH is having blood drawn for a (belated) measles titre, now that measles is a big "thing" again, especially with travel. (My test showed immunity from my measles at age 7 or so. Hopefully his will, too. Er, from *his* childhood case, not mine )

GC
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by muji
Nevertheless some protection is better than none. I know of elderly people who died from the flu. They were in the same hospital ward where I was when I had the flu.

The vast majority of flu-related deaths occur in people 65 years and older.
Indeed, the flu is always one of the top overall causes of death in the US each year and largely in 65+ group. Somewhere around 55,000 total flu deaths last year.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by CPRich
Here's a "Flu for Travelers" site - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/school-busin...elersfacts.htm

I've been to "international travel medical preparation" companies a few times (company paid - quite pricey), who provide recommendations and innoculations based on travel plans. I've received Hep A/B/C, Polio, Typhoid, etc., etc., based on where I'm traveling, but have never received anything other than the standard US flu shot. They do ask, and recommend, one, but when I tell them I got one locally, they don't make other recommendations, so I assume the US shot is about your only option.
Where does one get Hep C vaccination?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
Where does one get Hep C vaccination?
Such a vaccine does not exist.

The are vaccines, however, for hepatitis A and hepatitis B.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by KRSW
While I think many vaccines are beneficial, I've never quite understood the hype around the flu vaccines. Generally, the flu vaccine is less than 50% effective. In some years it was shown to actually increase your chances of getting the flu. So far, this year's flu vaccine is less than 12% (11.72%) effective in adults. I'm not sure which medical school the CDC guys went to, but even in an Honors/Pass/Fail system, <50% usually would be considered a failure.

Sources:
CDC - US Flu VE Data for 2018-2019 (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/2018-2019.html)
CDC - Past Seasons Vaccine Effectiveness Estimates (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-wor...estimates.html)
See below

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Indeed, the flu is always one of the top overall causes of death in the US each year and largely in 65+ group. Somewhere around 55,000 total flu deaths last year.
If 55,000 people in the US die and half of the US get flu shots, then even at 12% effectiveness, thousands of lives saved because tens or hundred of thousands of people avoided getting the flu.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:20 pm

One reason that some people may not understand and realize the danger that the flu can pose is that often people claim I have the flu when in fact it is just a bad cold virus (relatively much milder symptoms) which they have.

If you have the actual flu virus (with its body aches, vomiting, diarrhea, chills) you will know it. A cold virus will not kill you; a flu virus, if you are in a vulnerable category, certainly can.
KRSW and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.