FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this right? Zero Skymiles when flying Virgin?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:39 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RaflW
I flew VS metal on a DL ticket MAN-ATL the other day. It took a few days to post, unlike DL segments that post almost immediately now.

But my concern is about the RDMs that posted (and the fare attributed to the segment). Delta processed the flight segment as if the underlying fare paid was about $185. In Premium Economy! The outbound on DL metal, DTW-AMS the fare allocation was over $350 in econ / V fare. Seems wrong that I 'paid' nearly double for an economy V segment compared to a PE / G fare segment.

If I look at the ticket receipt, my total fare paid was $450 base fare + $400 surcharge (fuel, I assume). But when I add up all the segments posted fare/miles, it works out to about $707. My previous trip a few weeks earlier (also to Europe but different cities), all DL metal / V fares, the base fare was $483 + fuel $350. Redeemable miles posted after travel exactly matched the $833. Note, this is all fare, not about taxes (of which there were a lot on the VS flight. I know I don't get miles on any of the taxes. Also, thankfully, the more important MQMs posted correctly.)

1,647 redeemable miles isn't a huge deal. But it seems particularly weird to me that the fare + surcharge totals don't add up to what I paid on the DL/VS trip, and that the Virgin flight in a higher cabin is attributed at such a paltry fare. I wrote in to Delta this evening, the auto reply suggested it may take a while to get an answer.
See my post here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31646393-post2.html for info on how DL distributes earnings for DL coded flights.

VS/partner coded of course are straightforward as they earn strictly based on distance of the one segment.