FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lyft 13-year-old car Experience
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:00 am
fastflyer

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Lyft 13-year-old car Experience

Last week, on my Sunday evening 25-mile trip from the airport into town, I called a Lyft. I usually alternate between Lyft and Uber on the route -- based on time to pick-up (sometimes it's as long at 10 minutes for Uber at this airport, Lyft is often faster).

The car that arrived was a 2007 (meaning built 13 years ago, in 2006) Honda Accord, with a completely shot suspension. Combined with the rough highway and the interstate highway speeds, the experience was downright frightening. Not sure if this vintage car was even road-worthy. Note -- this was standard Lyft service, not some discounted shared or "cheap car" service offering. Total fare was over $70.

Naturally, I contacted Lyft the next day to ask about the appropriateness of a teenage car doing airport runs in a major metro. Lyft responded that the car met their criteria. Gobsmacked! I would never accept a car like this from any rental facility, nor from any taxi service.
1. Does Lyft really feel it is OK to dispatch seriously old cars ? How much value does a 13-year-old Accord hold anyhow, like $3000?
2. Even for newer cars, I would hope that Lyft has a maximum mileage criteria -- I wouldn't want to get into a car of unknown maintenance, with greater than 100k mileage, for example.