FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Hyatt elites like me? Mostly for leisure, paying 100% out of pocket
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:05 am
jameswes

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm in a similar situation - I have a little bit of work travel, but effectively all of my travel at Hyatts is self funded. Between my wife and I we have a lot of Chase/Hyatt points which help provide a lot of flexibility.

HP/HH aren't high end, but they will always work for 4 people, and since there are a lot of them at 5K points, it can provide a really great value and work towards globalist and free nights/TSU upgrades. We spend about one weekend per month at an "away" sporting event, so we're already up to 24 night credits.

We use the WoH credit card to get some free night credits. We spend at least $15K on it every year to get the free night certificate + 6 night credits.
So at this point we're up to ~30 night credits.

In resort/vacation places or in locations where we just want to upgrade to a larger room we'll use a TSU. We do about two, 1 week long family vacations per year so that adds 14 nights and now we're at 44.

And the remaining are from long weekend trips, going to see family, and in a pinch extra spend on the credit card. Prior to the CC I would do a little bit of mattress running during promos since I could more or less break even and that would get me up to status.

I agree with other posters (obviously not a random sample since this IS the Hyatt forum), the combination of breakfast for 4, lounge access, waived resort fees, free parking on award stays, late check out/early check in and regular room upgrades all mean that it is very valuable for us to maintain globalist status. Given that for us we need to do a lot of 2-3 night stays, we just don't love airbnb. I feel like it works well if you're going to be staying somewhere for a week, but checking in/out of AirBNB is always a little bit of a pain. With a hotel you can just show up whenever you want and you're never imposing on someone else. And if you need to overstay the next day (up to 4PM), I've never had an issue with Hyatt, it's always been granted.